Cream Legbars

Quote:
I keep an eye on them whenever I'm around them, not so much out of any fear (I'm not afraid of them), but so I can note any behavior I don't like and nip it in the bud. After all, the reason they are all there and their brothers are in the freezer is that I selected them as keepers for a reason (breeding-wise), and I intend to do what I can to encourage proper behavior so I can keep them around. It's a little like taking care with your body language when you own a dog or cat - there's so much communication that happens, and I was astonished when I realized that I had unknowingly trained my greyhounds by accident entirely through my actions and body language, because they watched me all the time.

When Snape (NN rooster) or Dumbledore start looking like they're even remotely thinking about something when I'm in the coop (like refilling the feeder) - often by being a little too close and starting to sidle up a bit - I stop what I'm doing and squarely face them (even if they're right there in front of me and I'm on my knees). Doesn't take long before they walk away (sometimes far away) - and they don't approach me again. I've been surprised how much an understanding of alpha dog stuff has helped with the roosters.

- Ant Farm

I keep an eye on them whenever I'm around them, not so much out of any fear (I'm not afraid of them), but so I can note any behavior I don't like and nip it in the bud. After all, the reason they are all there and their brothers are in the freezer is that I selected them as keepers for a reason (breeding-wise), and I intend to do what I can to encourage proper behavior so I can keep them around. It's a little like taking care with your body language when you own a dog or cat - there's so much communication that happens, and I was astonished when I realized that I had unknowingly trained my greyhounds by accident entirely through my actions and body language, because they watched me all the time.

When Snape (NN rooster) or Dumbledore start looking like they're even remotely thinking about something when I'm in the coop (like refilling the feeder) - often by being a little too close and starting to sidle up a bit - I stop what I'm doing and squarely face them (even if they're right there in front of me and I'm on my knees). Doesn't take long before they walk away (sometimes far away) - and they don't approach me again. I've been surprised how much an understanding of alpha dog stuff has helped with the roosters.

- Ant Farm

I agree, knowing what alpha dogs do and how you can out "alpha" them goes a long ways in correcting a rooster. I find I do not get a lot of "rooster problems" simply because I treat them as inferiors before they are even adults. I do not let them even think they can be "alpha". It really takes no work, just walk through them, never walk around them, make them move for you. Face them head on and make them move away if a stare down occurs.

They are actually easier than dogs in that you do not need to hold their necks and head to the ground and growl in their ear..... ( yea, I have done this, someday I assume a couple guys in white suits will haul me away for this).

Neither of my 2 current boys ever were or tried to be the alpha growing up and have only become master of their flocks by process of elimination. My Pita boy is fantastic,

He knows what my job is and his job is. If the girls are low or out of water or food and I havent been attentive enough (even oyster shell on occasion) he will start following me around from his side of the run and start talking to me. To get my attention. He doesnt do this at other times so Ive come to know he wants something. Lately I think he even is alerting me to when something is wrong with one of his girls. (Ive noticed this similar behavior when Ive found soft shell eggs) Once Ive taken care of the problem he just stands his normal stately watch. He always tries to court the hens before mating. Ive never seen him forcibly submit one. When one takes to sleeping on the ledge he sleeps by her. When we have had dogs or cats in the yard he is the one usually sleeping near the door.. My coop is open to the birds 24 x7 but is enclosed in a run and elevated about 3 feet off the ground.

He calls the girls to treats and will gift them tid bits regularly. Always lets them eat their fill then eats.

My CLB (Jr.) boy who is master of the other flock (Pita is inside CLB is outside) over the rest of the back yard has been slowly adopting some of these same mannerisms. But its funny that some of the girls from the outside flock will cozy up to the fences when Sam (the Pita) is there and he will even call them to something he sees outside his run. Lately there has been a little sparring through the fence but nothing major.

Jr has never shown any aggression at all towards me and in fact seems to want to follow me around.and observe what I do. Almost like waiting for me to give him instructions. He sees me pick up girls and pet them and acts like he wants some of that same attention. He was the smallest of 5 males I had (4 Pita and Him) grow up together. One of them would pick on him on occasion and as a result he would get rescued and coddled a lot. He had a buddy in the group though that would sit and sleep with him and even protect him a bit but unfortunately 3 of the 4 pitas died in a transportation accident (didnt get enough air flow in their container) and they were the good natured ones so for a while I had another Pita and Jr over the backyard flock and the Pita was dominant.But that Pita is now in the freezer after full on attacking me from behind and repeatedly going after my daughter. Jr has come to grips with his new found stats and is finally beginning to act like a Roo.

Thanks all for your helpful tips and comments! I've picked him up the last few mornings and held him for a couple of minutes, then let him go after holding onto him with his feet on the ground (as if to say, I decide when you get to go), he then scurries of and avoids me, he sleeps in a rooster box but this morning he didn't want to come out as he saw me waiting to hold him! Maybe he's (re-) learning who the boss is...

Thanks all for your helpful tips and comments! I've picked him up the last few mornings and held him for a couple of minutes, then let him go after holding onto him with his feet on the ground (as if to say, I decide when you get to go), he then scurries of and avoids me, he sleeps in a rooster box but this morning he didn't want to come out as he saw me waiting to hold him! Maybe he's (re-) learning who the boss is...

That's great!..

Look inside the box, he is probably scratching graffiti on the walls in the box (written in Chicken, of course) that you're a PITA.

Hi, I don't have any experience with this, but I was wondering if you have a pic from another angle?
Is it just on one side?  Does she keep her balance and move around normally?

One time I hatched three mixed breed pullets, full sisters, and one had an under developed wing.  I always wondered about that.

Yes she moves around just fine although she seems lower energy and would rather sit on my lap than hang out with the other chicks. Here are a few other pictures.

Last edited:
An update on my mystery chick.
Based on feather color I'm pretty sure it is a female!
celebrate.gif
The 2 males are growing in white-tipped feathers and the 2 females plus the mystery one are all growing in more partridge/brown looking feathers!

Sorry - I know he's not a CL, but since we were discussing rooster behavior management, I couldn't resist sharing some "selfie" pics of me and my big NN rooster Snape here - we had a cuddle session in the coop this evening when right in front of me he went after the littlest girl who has a nearly bare back (I need to sew some aprons). I scooped him up to interrupt him and we had some quality time together while we gave the girls a break. (I don't consider him a pet or treat him that way, but he actually really enjoys a good snuggle every so often...)

- Ant Farm

Going way off topic, I have a Speckled Sussex hen that needs a daily cuddle too, I have never treated any of my birds as pets, but this hen follows me until I stop by something between knee and bellybutton high, then jumps up and comes over for some petting scratching and to get carried. I never feed her by hand so that is not the reason. I think she just likes me, maybe the only female around the farm that does somedays....
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom