Cream Legbars

I agree, it is hard. I'm looking here, within the group, and have to go check Craig's. The downside is there is a person who is established and can flood the market with them. I however can not and am just growing my birds. That sure does bring value down though.

Legbar roos are a tough sell in my area. Not big enough to eat and not of interest for breeding unless someone has a flock of Legbars and lost their roo (or never had one). Unless the later situation occurs I would be delighted to get $5.

I did sell one for $10 last year, but he was a Reese cockerel straight from GFF.

I can get a little more for Welsummers or Marans roos because they have more "meat on their bones". People look at a CL roo and decide he's not worth the trouble to butcher. If anyone is looking for a good flock protector roo, I get them a Welsummer, or something that size. I find a huge Welsummer roo to be far better around kids than my CCL's that must feel they have something to prove and often turn mean.

I'm raising up a bunch of Reese cockerels this year and the major trait I'm selecting for is good personalities, any that show a propensity for aggression will get the axe.

I agree, it is hard. I'm looking here, within the group, and have to go check Craig's. The downside is there is a person who is established and can flood the market with them. I however can not and am just growing my birds. That sure does bring value down though.
This is the way I look at it I weigh the options vs the likelihood that the bird will not move. I give myself a deadline to where I either process the bird or give it away. The closer I get to that deadline the cheaper he gets. At some point his value as either dinner or just gone is greater than anything I could get for him. You have to decide what that point is for you. Once you have that firmly in mind you can offer the bird up to a variety of people. You will get the most for the bird if someone will take him as a breeder. Next highest will be if someone is interested in egg color breeding. Finally selling him at auction is the last step before simply being done with him. In the first case Pictures speak volumes the second is more about if he is pure and carrying the egg genes. You price will vary widely depending on what kind of buyer you attract.

CLB roosters are a pain. Just to make it easier for me, know I call CLB roos Creamers and the girls Creamettes....

I sell Creamettes as day olds for 15 bucks each, I sell the roos for 5. II have about 50 creamers in pens now. I will make soup of most of them. However, I do sell a few on here and on Craigslist. Sell maybe the wrong word. The people I am friends with on here I just give them the creamers.. Most of them want the birds to bring color to their EE eggs.

When I sell them on craigslist I charge 10 bucks for an adult bird. It is simply to keep the people that troll the ads looking for free roosters to eat. There are many people that will take them for free and sell them at the Asian live bird sales. It keeps them honest. If I am giving the bird to someone to sell or eat, I will eat it myself.

While there is not a lot of meat on a Creamer, there is enough for a meal for my wife and I.

Love the names. There are a few people that have them, but only one near me, and we're talking 40 miles or so. The next is 50 miles and on out.
I sold a few cockerels last year and one this year for $5 a piece. No one really knows what they are around here and I sold them as roosters with the blue egg gene. Which is fine with me because if I am selling them, I don't consider them worth breeding for Cream Legbars. We have lots of small flock raisers around here and people like to have a rooster or two. People also like the fact that they will pass along some blue egg genes and they can potentially make some green egg layers.

I did see someone selling some Rees cockerels on Craigslist for $85 dollars a piece. The ad was still up last time I looked. I would be shocked if they could sell one for that price around here. I think basically you put them out there with a price that you would like and if they don't sell then you lower the price until they do!

I too have sold some extra cream lebar roosters to people looking for both handsome eyecandy for the henhouse and the blue egg gene. Sold em for 10$ apiece and was happy to see them go to good homes, as i picked only the nicest temperaments to send off. My own that i kept have been pretty good boys, but the majority of males populate my freezer. I am hoping, however, after next year, when i need to get new males, to possibly do a rooster swap. Are there any out there in or near south central montana? My guess is no, but perhaps by the time i need to change up my genetics, maybe there will be others.

I too have sold some extra cream lebar roosters to people looking for both handsome eyecandy for the henhouse and the blue egg gene. Sold em for 10$ apiece and was happy to see them go to good homes, as i picked only the nicest temperaments to send off. My own that i kept have been pretty good boys, but the majority of males populate my freezer. I am hoping, however, after next year, when i need to get new males, to possibly do a rooster swap. Are there any out there in or near south central montana? My guess is no, but perhaps by the time i need to change up my genetics, maybe there will be others.

I am north of Missoula but maybe we could work something out some time. My husband travels to Butte on occasion. Are you near Billings?

Last edited:

Since you live in Montana, have you seen any of the Hedemoras? Greenfire sent a group to Montana because they are extremely under-downed landrace chickens and I wondered if they've been acquired in any of the USA cold weather snow country?

Back
Top Bottom