Cream Legbars

THIS is the color I was anticipating the CCLB laying as I have seen several pics online of eggs this blue and a couple even bluer, but the hatching eggs I got from top top lines are far more green blue and pale

So I am guessing Legbars will not be much different than other chickens. You can breed for egg color and lose a bit of breed type, or breed for breed type and lose some color

I REALLY was hoping for at minimum eggs this blue.. ah well.. better adjust my hopes or in 5 months when my girls start laying I will be dissapointed

THIS is the color I was anticipating the CCLB laying as I have seen several pics online of eggs this blue and a couple even bluer, but the hatching eggs I got from top top lines are far more green blue and pale

So I am guessing Legbars will not be much different than other chickens. You can breed for egg color and lose a bit of breed type, or breed for breed type and lose some color

I REALLY was hoping for at minimum eggs this blue.. ah well.. better adjust my hopes or in 5 months when my girls start laying I will be dissapointed

If you read back far enough in this thread, you will read multiple similar expressions of disappointment and related discussion, so you're in good company. CLs are "marketed" by many to all lay eggs like those in your photo. They don't.
hmm.png

As with everything in life, it's about managing expectations. I love mine for a lot of other reasons now that I have them, even if I first got them for the blue eggs...

- Ant Farm

some do based on photos. Just not ALL like I was originally told

The above photo comes from this blog
http://idontlikepeas.co.uk/category/everyday-life/page/13/

and then this pic is on Pinterest
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/289215607291824050/

But some are obviously filtered or photoshopped from what I can tell looking at some others

My legbars are just 2 weeks old but they are already very active and curious compared to the Barnevelders the same age. I like them anyhow :)
I think photos can be really misleading. Colors change so much due to lighting etc. For example this is the same egg on two different backgrounds:

The bottom pic is the more accurate color. It is pretty but not robin's egg blue like it appears in the first pic!

These four eggs are from my original four hens. I would say these are more typical of what Legbar hens lay. I have never seen a Legbar egg the color of the ones you posted above. I suppose that doesn't mean they don't exist somewhere. They just aren't typical. I love my Legbars and the many shades of eggs that they lay though!

Thanks. I guess based on what I read and photos, I was expecting Araucana blue
My two week olds come from a lady who says her eggs are blue. I guess in 5 months I get to see just how blue
wink.png

Quote:
Definitely true. I have found that the best way for me to get a photograph of an egg to best represent the color I am seeing is to get a photo outside in the sunlight.

I'll also add, for whatever it's worth, that most of my girls started by laying eggs that looked like the greenish versions of the photo above (started laying in November), but now lay eggs that have little if any green. They aren't deep blue, but they are now blue....

- Ant Farm

Definitely true. I have found that the best way for me to get a photograph of an egg to best represent the color I am seeing is to get a photo outside in the sunlight.

I'll also add, for whatever it's worth, that most of my girls started by laying eggs that looked like the greenish versions of the photo above (started laying in November), but now lay eggs that have little if any green. They aren't deep blue, but they are now blue....

- Ant Farm
The colors on mine have varied too. It seems like they start laying with a very deep greenish blue and then lighten over time. Right now my four original hens lay a bluer egg than green. At least to my eye, and it is lighter and not so saturated.

Back
Top Bottom