Cream Legbars

IMG_20180104_191006670.jpg

my olive egger, Peggy, started laying recently. She is also half Marans, half Legbar, and she was originally slated to go to a lady who wanted a batch of olive eggers, and poor Peggy slipped her Achilles tendon at a day old and we could not fix it, but since she never dragged her bad leg, and never seemed depressed, I didn't cull her.
She hops everywhere.
Hers is the middle egg.

Do I find your pics on the Legbar page or your page?
The contest. It's the open event for the cream Legbar club, that is listed as officially closed. Mine were posted December 11
I have the lady Minotaur looking profile... I don't post my real face online. Only other people post my face if it shows up.

Last edited:
Gary, while you and I disagree some on legbars, I have to tell you those olive eggs of yours are fantastic. I have tried with moderate success to get olive green eggs. But you have outdone me by 150% on those.
I had marans but the 2 hens laid 1 egg an week between the two of them and it was not worth the effort to try and breed them, os they became soup..... I wish now I had thought to use them with legbars instead of the Speckle Sussex and Doms I did use on Olive eggs!

Great Job!

Do you mind if I share your photo with the folks in the Minnesota thread, I will give you credit.. We are always looking for pretty and varied egg baskets...

Ralphie,

No I don't mind if you share the photo.

I never though there was anything particularly special about the color of these Olive Eggs. The best color that I have seen was from Angie Jones at Fowl R'Us in Schertz, TX. She started by crossing Wheaten Americana with Black Copper Maran. Then she crossed the hens laying the darkest eggs back to an Americana Cock and the hens laying the bluest eggs back to the Marans Cock. I don't remember what she did from there, but think she was selecting with in the olive eggers for egg color. I wish I had snagged the photo from her Ebay Auction when I had the chance. The egg color on her eggs practically glowed. I also saw some really dark olive eggs at the annual Bluebonnet Egg contest put on the Brazos Valley Poultry club. Some of the people their had obviously been breeding the hens back to Marans. They were less like the color of the flesh of the avocado and more the color of the peel of the avocado.

Back
Top Bottom