Cream Legbars

Greenfire Farms imported three different groups of Cream Legbars with the average of 3-4 birds a group. That puts the cost of their foundation stock at about $50,000. They sell pullets day old pullets for $60 each and day old cockerels for $30 each. So with that estimate they have to sell about 556 pairs of day-old chicks to pay for the cost of their stock.
Actually, the pullets are still $60 for day olds at Greenfire Farms, but the cockerels have dropped to $19.00--- time to go shopping.

Yes, but their is no minimum on farm pick-ups. I could fit a few guys in the air conditioned car on the trip home. :)

Absolutely solid plan! I guess my thought was call ahead and make sure they haven't gone out as packing peanuts before you stop in. I totally endorse your plan. If I were within driving distance....

I have a website and get a few orders through there mostly for Isbars. Shipping the started birds is much less stressful than shipping chicks in my opinion. The day before I ship I cage them separate and feed them apples slices to get them used to them. ON ship day depending on the number of birds I put 1/2 to 1 sliced apple in on top of some shavings so they have something to eat on and give them a little moisture on the trip. After I put in the shavings, apples, and birds I seal up the box and weigh it on a kitchen scale, then print postage off usps.com. I ALWAYS select "hold for pickup" and write the buyers phone number all over the box. I never ship if the temps locally are going to be over 90-95 for the next 2 days. Also I called my post office distribution center to find out when they load up the trucks so I can time arrival to the post office about an hour before that, it's a further drive than my local post office but gets them out of town faster.

I have not used rare breeds auction yet. I would guess you wouldn't get a lot of local interest for the value of the birds. Pricing is going to depend on the supply and demand in your area of course, but to give you a reference here in Oklahoma locally I charge $50 for a 6-12 week old gold hackled pullet (and I sell them as such with full disclosure of what that means) and $75 for a cream pullet of the same age. I haven't had a lot of interest in cockerels, mostly they go to people who grow them out and eat them, but when I sell them to a pet home or breeder home they go for $15-25 depending on quality and color. When I get orders through my website those prices are higher due to shipping costs, the ridiculously expensive shipping boxes (and the expensive shipping to get them to me), and the hassle.

I too am eager for next year when the cream gene is fixed in my flock and I can move on to the next goal! I'm nearly there with the ones I am growing out, and sold two of my gold hens today.

I've had so many roos I haven't had very many pullets to sell, but I was surprised at the local interest. I give the male chicks away and the female chick at 1-2 weeks old I'm selling for $20 no problem. I sold adult roosters for $10-15 each. I haven't had any thing else to sell yet. I bet I could put them on Craigs list locally and sell them pretty quick though, and probably at higher prices due to the bigger market

It's interesting to see how the prices differ across the USA. In our area, female chicks are $35-40/juveniles $45 and cockerals are free-$10/juveniles $25.

@blackbirds: I have purchased through RBA, but not sold. Most people buy through RBA because they think they're getting a good deal and most sellers ship. I'd try here at BYC or on a personal website if you want a higher dollar, or RBA if you want higher exposure (since many people looking for rare breeds check it daily). If you're parting with any of the cream crested girls, will you keep me in mind please?

I've had so many roos I haven't had very many pullets to sell, but I was surprised at the local interest. I give the male chicks away and the female chick at 1-2 weeks old I'm selling for $20 no problem. I sold adult roosters for $10-15 each. I haven't had any thing else to sell yet. I bet I could put them on Craigs list locally and sell them pretty quick though, and probably at higher prices due to the bigger market
It really interesting about roosters. I had 3 mixed breed roos I was selling on Craigslist last fall and got an unexpectedly large number of calls. I put them up for $5 each and sold them to a lady that was homesteading and wanted roos to protect and procreate. Many calls from folks with foreign accents that would eat (I'm ok with)/use for bait (not ok with--but how do you tell the difference?) so I waited a week and had no trouble. I have a friend that just 'sold' a rare Buff Laced Brahma cockerel--she had listed him for $35 but ended up giving him away to a lady who wanted him as a flock rooster. She only got the one call at the $35 price. Most roo around here are either free or around $10 and they are seldom re-listed.

Oh good. Do you think my wife will let me stop at Greenfire Farm when we drive out to Orlando in September so I can bring a few cockerels back?
Yes, I think she would...... You should ferry some back to this area...and price them once y'all get back so that you would pay for gasoline on the return trip. Hmmmmm. I could put in an order for a couple. :O)

Back
Top Bottom