Cream Legbars

Hi everyone, I am pretty new to this forum and pretty new to chickens as well. I have been really interested in cream legbars and just recently purchased three day old chicks. I was going to order some from Greenfire but found some day old chicks locally. I wanted three pullets to start but he only had two pullets and he convinced me to take the little roo as well. He got his breeding stock from Greenfire farms so I decided I might as well take the plunge.

I am not sure what I am going to do with them yet. I like the idea of selling fertilized eggs and perhaps chicks but I feel like I have so much to learn still! I also have so many questions and I am still learning what to look for in nice Cream Legbars. Also these chicks are all related. Is it good practice to breed related chickens? Are there different lines that provide more diversity?

I won't overwhelm you with all my questions at once. I have also been reading a lot and trying to absorb as much info as possible. I am so happy to have found this forum.

Here are some pics of my little ones. They are about a week old in these pics:
Group shot

Pullet 1

Pullet 2

Roo
thats a nice well defined headspot #2 pullet has,

Thanks lonny. That is good info. I think he only had one roo. At least only one that I saw. I think once I decide if I really want to do this I will get more birds as I go. I am still not certain that I know what to look for yet.

I am hoping that people here will be able to help me as these little ones grow up!

Uh oh, nicalandia, I am not sure that is a good thing!

I did notice that she has a head spot but I thought the boys were supposed to have nice ones. I think I saw somewhere that pullets can as well as long as they still have the eye stripes and defined body stripes.

Uh oh, nicalandia, I am not sure that is a good thing!

I did notice that she has a head spot but I thought the boys were supposed to have nice ones. I think I saw somewhere that pullets can as well as long as they still have the eye stripes and defined body stripes.

Correct. The head spot is linked to barring- Cream Legbar hens have one barring gene, the roos have two, so that's why the roos get a big headspot.

I have been so bummed with my CL hatches. It seems as though less than half hatch each time.

This past time I set 12 eggs only 8 made it to lockdown, 4 hatched - 1female 3males. each hatch seems the same in terms of how many hatch.

I have another batch that is on day 14, I have already pulled a few quiters, Im expecting the same hatch results though. Its a little discouraging.

In case anyone is wondering my rooster and the pullets are not directly related. I got them from 2 different sources. And my other breeds hatch just fine also. I feel like people mention this often but its never really discussed. I would really like to inprove my CL hatch rates.

I have been so bummed with my CL hatches. It seems as though less than half hatch each time.

This past time I set 12 eggs only 8 made it to lockdown, 4 hatched - 1female 3males. each hatch seems the same in terms of how many hatch.

I have another batch that is on day 14, I have already pulled a few quiters, Im expecting the same hatch results though. Its a little discouraging.

In case anyone is wondering my rooster and the pullets are not directly related. I got them from 2 different sources. And my other breeds hatch just fine also. I feel like people mention this often but its never really discussed. I would really like to inprove my CL hatch rates.

have you checked your flock for salmonila? That can cause poor hatch rates

have you checked your flock for salmonila? That can cause poor hatch rates

My flock was tested last august. Im due again for a retest soon. But like I said all the other breeds and mixed breeds do great often 90-100% hatch rate. Even my CL crosses hatch fantastically, they are usually my best to hatch.

I'm a lurker, I just recently got some Legbars.
Do I remember some folks posting that they got some good hatch rates by keeping the humidity lower than the accepted 'norm' of anywhere from 30% to 50%?
It seems some have posted that 20% humidity seemed to work well.

Thanks, everyone, I'm learning a lot!

Back
Top Bottom