Cream Legbars

Does anybody have Cream Legbars from Greenfire Farms? Do you have pictures of your birds? Will you offer hatching eggs when your birds reach POL?

caf.gif
I have 2 shipments straight from Greenfire.

Last summer I received 4 pullets and 3 cockerels. One cockerel has beautiful coloring but a squirrel tail and a serious comb problem. I kept 1 hen and sold the rest because they have gold coloring. 2 out of seven were keepers. This is the pair that I kept.
I have bred the rooster and have some nice offspring. I will keep any roosters that have straighter combs and good coloring.

This spring I won an auction. I received 7 pullets and 8 cockerels. 3 of the cockerels died on arrival. The cockerels are all growing out gold and 2 at least have no crest. 4 of the pullets are gold and have been sold for nonbreeding pet quality. 3 of the hens are nice, with dark crests and cream hackles.

I really respect Greenfire for what they have done to import and make available rare breeds, but as far as getting good breeding stock, they may not be the most reliable source.

Until I can get NPIP certified, I will not be able to ship eggs. But you should be able to find some breeders closer to you that have been selectively breeding that you can get some eggs or chicks from.

Last edited:
I have 2 shipments straight from Greenfire.

Last summer I received 4 pullets and 3 cockerels. One cockerel has beautiful coloring but a squirrel tail and a serious comb problem. I kept 1 hen and sold the rest because they have gold coloring. 2 out of seven were keepers. This is the pair that I kept.
I have bred the rooster and have some nice offspring. I will keep any roosters that have straighter combs and good coloring.

This spring I won an auction. I received 7 pullets and 8 cockerels. 3 of the cockerels died on arrival. The cockerels are all growing out gold and 2 at least have no crest. 4 of the pullets are gold and have been sold for nonbreeding pet quality. 3 of the hens are nice, with dark crests and cream hackles.

I really respect Greenfire for what they have done to import and make available rare breeds, but as far as getting good breeding stock, they may not be the most reliable source.

Until I can get NPIP certified, I will not be able to ship eggs. But you should be able to find some breeders closer to you that have been selectively breeding that you can get some eggs or chicks from.
I'd like to use this post to make a general comment to anyone who is interested in breeding crested cream legbars.

Having recently attended a Cream Legbar type evaluation hosted by juststruttin and organized by GaryDean26, the key advice I heard from Walt Leonard is summed up in the old adage: build the barn and then paint it.

So although we are seeing alot of gold hens and uncrested birds, which are all ultimately from GFF crested cream legbar stock, as well as other attributes that are not in keeping with the SOP, those birds may still be valuable assets to a foundation stock.

To the degree that we all have to start somewhere, and probably with a limited number of birds, body size and shape are the key starting points. It may be beneficial to let the birds mature to see if they have the right body shape, are a larger size, and have some other favorable points before rehoming them. While some birds may have more favorable feather color, ie cream, crest, and barring patterns - it is important to weigh that against unfavorable "faults" they may also pass along, some of which are more difficult to eliminate from a breeding program.

There are people who have been working on their line for awhile now with very good results in key areas as well as with the finer points. If our own breeding program has the barn but needs some new paint ie feathers, legs, earlobes, eggshells - then introducing new birds with those colorful attributes is feasible. But to some degree, every time a new bird is introduced, there are new results / faults to filter out.

Researching what's out there may save time before starting a breeding program, but it won't be your breeding program until you put the time and generations into it. (this is not directed at anyone in particular, just some sage advice I have kept note of).

I'm excited, I got a third egg today!.. however I have some concerns about my cockerel. His little bitty comb is kinda flopped sideways. Will his comb be floppywhen he fully grows it out, or? Is he ok for breeding or should I go with a different cockerel?

I have 2 shipments straight from Greenfire. Last summer I received 4 pullets and 3 cockerels. One cockerel has beautiful coloring but a squirrel tail and a serious comb problem. I kept 1 hen and sold the rest because they have gold coloring. 2 out of seven were keepers. This is the pair that I kept. I have bred the rooster and have some nice offspring. I will keep any roosters that have straighter combs and good coloring. This spring I won an auction. I received 7 pullets and 8 cockerels. 3 of the cockerels died on arrival. The cockerels are all growing out gold and 2 at least have no crest. 4 of the pullets are gold and have been sold for nonbreeding pet quality. 3 of the hens are nice, with dark crests and cream hackles. I really respect Greenfire for what they have done to import and make available rare breeds, but as far as getting good breeding stock, they may not be the most reliable source. Until I can get NPIP certified, I will not be able to ship eggs. But you should be able to find some breeders closer to you that have been selectively breeding that you can get some eggs or chicks from.
I think your rooster is pretty, just dont like his comb so much.

I'm excited, I got a third egg today!.. however I have some concerns about my cockerel. His little bitty comb is kinda flopped sideways. Will his comb be floppywhen he fully grows it out, or? Is he ok for breeding or should I go with a different cockerel?
I did have one cockerel that had a flopping comb--- that straightened.

Focus on what you are working on - and it is difficult to tell from what you are saying how little and how floppy. Give your cockerels some time to grow out - are they the same age as your egg layers? Are your pullets in the 24-weeks old range? I'm guessing that they are just starting to lay,right?

I did have one cockerel that had a flopping comb--- that straightened.  

Focus on what you are working on - and it is difficult to tell from what you are saying how little and how floppy.  Give your cockerels some time to grow out - are they the same age as your egg layers?  Are your pullets in the 24-weeks old range? I'm guessing that they are just starting to lay,right?

no they are only about 8 weeks.. maybe 7.. his comb is little, but is already flopped sideways.

Back
Top Bottom