Cream Legbars

I was on this forum two months ago asking about sexing the two CLB chicks I had just gotten from My Pet Chicken. Turns out their hatchery did a terrible job of sexing them. The two had distinctively different wing feather development at the time, though both had chipmunk stripes.

The one with wing feathers died during the first week from failure to thrive, and now the one with the slow wing feathers is crowing. He's definitely male and he crows every morning, even though he still is chirping the rest of the time.

Is pre-adolescent crowing the norm for this breed? He's still a little cuddle muffin, and he still likes to fall asleep in my lap.

I'm very disappointed in MPC for depriving me of blue eggs, though.
Bummer!

I think some of My Pet Chicken's CLB stock may be losing some of the good auto sexing qualities that you are supposed to select for when breeding CLBs (because that was the whole point, wasn't it?!). As I understand from all the very smart folks on this thread and elsewhere, auto sexing must be maintained in a breeding program like anything else, and if a breeder/hatchery does not cull, there is a risk of losing that characteristic.

I have three pullets received this spring as baby chicks from MPC (supposedly vent sexed in addition to chick markings). While two had markings of classic CLB females, one, Paula (who was actually hatched a week earlier), had very clear "chipmunk" markings (central dark band down back with the clearly defined dark bands on either side, and very clear "eyeliner"), but she was overall lighter in color than the others, had markedly slower wing feather development, had a slightly unusual configuration on her head "vee". To make things worse, she crowed a few times at 4 weeks (only when I took another chick out of the brooder to cuddle and left her behind). She's about 10 weeks old now, and I'm pretty sure she's a hen, and hasn't crowed again (though she has this sort of "whiskey/cigarette voice" in which she mutters/complains sometimes). But I wouldn't ever breed from her, as her auto sexing markings were in question. (Actually, while I'm not focused on breed standard or anything, the other two are much nicer examples of CLB coloring and configuration than Paula as well, so there's that, too.)

Photos and discussion of her chick markings and behavior here in post #7708 of this thread (I hope this link works!):
post #7708

For those of you who were part of the conversation then, she doesn't have any tattoos or piercings... yet...
tongue2.gif

- Ant Farm

I was on this forum two months ago asking about sexing the two CLB chicks I had just gotten from My Pet Chicken. Turns out their hatchery did a terrible job of sexing them. The two had distinctively different wing feather development at the time, though both had chipmunk stripes.

The one with wing feathers died during the first week from failure to thrive, and now the one with the slow wing feathers is crowing. He's definitely male and he crows every morning, even though he still is chirping the rest of the time.

Is pre-adolescent crowing the norm for this breed? He's still a little cuddle muffin, and he still likes to fall asleep in my lap.

I'm very disappointed in MPC for depriving me of blue eggs, though.
Hopefully you have contacted MPC, and hopefully they have at least refunded your purchase price for the female that turned out to be a male. On a really important note for their business -- they would need to know this to NOT make the same mistake in the future. THAT's NOT supposed to happen in the world of CLs (I call it the surprise rooster)--

Mine crow sooo early -- even in the brooder -- (hence way before 4-weeks)--- but it sounds, when they are babies, more like a chicken squabble and someone getting hurt or with their foot trapped -- it is so screetchy -- go to the brooder look for the problem, who's hurt, trapped? -- and they look up and say 'what's up?' They have rusty squeeky practice crows too.

One vocalization that my first pair did all the time was a kind of purr or trill when they are really content and happy -- seems too that they only do it when they are young and kind of loose the sound as they grow older.....

Where are you exactly? We have some here for $10 in Northern Ky. They might be mutts but their markings did prove true. (Rooster had the yellow spot on head) Might be worth a trip.

Sorry for my unspecific reply earlier, the breed I was talking about having in Northern Ky was the creamy legbar.

The two CL pullets from @chickat 's flock eggs :). :ya

Will try to get a picture f the two Roos later which will go to a different flock after 2 months.

Last edited:
Been a while since i posted pics of my birds. I only have these 2 left fom selling off everything else to work on only Black Copper Marans. These i got from GFF Rees line last year. They are 1 year old. Im going to keep one going forward this fall along with my single Splash Marans.

My favored Rees hen.

And the 2nd girl i have. She's more skittish. They both are more standoff than my Marans.

Been a while since i posted pics of my birds. I only have these 2 left fom selling off everything else to work on only Black Copper Marans. These i got from GFF Rees line last year. They are 1 year old. Im going to keep one going forward this fall along with my single Splash Marans.

My favored Rees hen.

And the 2nd girl i have. She's more skittish. They both are more standoff than my Marans.
Nice white earlobes -- and also love their combs! their crests look really good for the way I like to see CL crests. Thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom