Cream Legbars

Still no eggs. But Paula (and the other girls) keep looking longingly at Dumbledore the cockerel in quarantine across the way. All three girls have full shiny red combs now. And Paula comes to the door, turns, squats, and holds out her wings EVERY SINGLE TIME I open the coop door - I have to explain to her that, no, I'm NOT a rooster, and she's not getting any from me. Twice now I got too close to her while tidying the coop and she bit me on the lip and drew blood (TWICE!)

I'm not quite sure how to put this, but... Can a pullet be sex crazy? I SWEAR Paula is holding out on me, egg-wise, until I give her a boyfriend...

Never thought I'd have a pullet with loose morals, but if I had to guess which, it would be Paula, of course. I think I need to check her for tattoos and piercings next time I'm in her coop...
roll.png

- Ant Farm

(Edit to clarify that Dumbledore is a cockerel... And as he's only 17 weeks old, Paula is quite the cougar...)

Last edited:
Still no eggs. But Paula (and the other girls) keep looking longingly at Dumbledore the cockerel in quarantine across the way. All three girls have full shiny red combs now. And Paula comes to the door, turns, squats, and holds out her wings EVERY SINGLE TIME I open the coop door - I have to explain to her that, no, I'm NOT a rooster, and she's not getting any from me. Twice now I got too close to her while tidying the coop and she bit me on the lip and drew blood (TWICE!)

I'm not quite sure how to put this, but... Can a pullet be sex crazy? I SWEAR Paula is holding out on me, egg-wise, until I give her a boyfriend...

Never thought I'd have a pullet with loose morals, but if I had to guess which, it would be Paula, of course. I think I need to check her for tattoos and piercings next time I'm in her coop...
roll.png

- Ant Farm

(Edit to clarify that Dumbledore is a cockerel... And as he's only 17 weeks old, Paula is quite the cougar...)

Tell her in this case the egg comes before the chicken( Dumbledore). She lays eggs she gets rooster time
lau.gif
. Seriously though you might want to consider if you want to keep a aggressive chicken. Especially if you have children who enter the coop. Is Dumbledore crowing? He should be close to wanting to start "dating" at 17 weeks, lol. My little Maverick( my pic) just started crowing over the weekend, he will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. Precocious little guy. The rest of the gang are still mostly peeping.

roll.png

- Ant Farm

Hormones definitely kick in and behavior gets stirred up, but they do calm down again.

Tell her in this case the egg comes before the chicken( Dumbledore). She lays eggs she gets rooster time
lau.gif
. Seriously though you might want to consider if you want to keep a aggressive chicken. Especially if you have children who enter the coop. Is Dumbledore crowing? He should be close to wanting to start "dating" at 17 weeks, lol. My little Maverick( my pic) just started crowing over the weekend, he will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. Precocious little guy. The rest of the gang are still mostly peeping.

Sorry - in my effort to be funny I may have misrepresented her behavior as aggressive (geez, she'll probably pop up on here with an angry selfie again...). While she's certainly more moody now, she (and the others) have always been fascinated with my lips and eyes since they were chicks (as a curiosity thing). So because of that, I don't really let them near my face, at least not beak-first. But in this new coop, I can be standing working, and depending on where I am, I can unexpectedly have a chicken right there at eye level. I wasn't watching where I was and there she was, and zap. Twice. I'll need to be more careful.

But yeah, she's moody alright. She stood at he coop door and growled at me this evening, then turned, squatted, and waited. But are there eggs? No, no there are not.
he.gif

Dumbledore has been crowing for quite some time (well before I got him, per ChicKat) - and is CLEARLY just as interested in dating as the girls. The issue is that he's finishing out his 4 week quarantine. And also he's 17 weeks old - maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't really want him eating laying hen feed until he's at least 18 weeks (what I've seen on various bags as the safe age for cockerels in mixed coops). Plus, with the crazy, crazy rain, there was NO WAY I was moving him this weekend anyway. Next weekend will be just fine. (It'll be quite the party!!!) And yes, I'll keep HIM away from my face as well! (I may need to start cleaning the coop with a hockey mask...)

- Ant Farm

Ant Farm, have you tried the squirt bottle with water/lemon juice or vinegar thing on your juvies? It works to keep the pullets off of you too.

Is anyone participating in or planning to visit the Ventura, CA Show (Seaside Bash at the Beach) in a couple of weeks? The APA Standard Committee is going to be there and get to see a few of at least three CLC Members' Cream Legbars! So exciting! If you are in driving distance please plan to stop by and check out the birds to show your support!

Ant Farm, have you tried the squirt bottle with water/lemon juice or vinegar thing on your juvies? It works to keep the pullets off of you too.

Haven't had to yet - but in this case, I wouldn't have had a quick-draw fast enough. They don't harass me - my lip was interesting and in reach, and BAM. We'll see how Dumble does - he startles easy with me right now. The little Naked Necks and New Hampshires in the tractor, on the other hand, peck my legs and feet mercilessly (especially the boys) - always finding the tiniest gap in a shoe or at the top of a sock to get to skin. I have to wear my tall chicken boots in the tractor, and now that they're bigger at almost 7 weeks, they can peck at the legs above the boots!!! I get swarmed by them (after all, there are 23...). I REALLY need to get that coop finished (once the lumber dries out).

- Ant Farm

Anyone have any good name suggestions? I named my first cream legbar "Sky" for her blue eggs. My little cockerel out there is "Sonny". I'm getting 3 more pullets here in a couple days. One will definitely be "Cher" but I need 2 more names that go well with Sonny. Any thoughts?

So far :
Sunny Skies
Sonny & Cher

Back
Top Bottom