Cream Legbars

When I raised cornish crosses, I butchered the cockerels at the normal time stated for these chickens. They were packaged for frying. The pullets I let grow for another month or two. They made LOVELY roasting birds and I had no problems with growth disorders. Worked great for me.

I lost the better one of my Cream Legbar hens. One of my dogs climbed the 6' tall kennel he was in and played too roughly with her. <huge sigh>

we sigh with you...

Hey folks:

Does anybody have GF Jill Reese birds? There was some discussion in the PA area that they lay eggs more green than blue...was wondering if its 'true'...and any other 'features' VS the other GF lines....TIA!

Hey folks:

Does anybody have GF Jill Reese birds? There was some discussion in the PA area that they lay eggs more green than blue...was wondering if its 'true'...and any other 'features' VS the other GF lines....TIA!

Several people with both have noticed significantly greener eggs from JR line----- 

My JR eggs started greener but became more blue with time. Never as blue as the older lines but with a few exceptions they were a very pretty turquoise with deeper color than the non Reese eggs. Both types very pretty.
The greener Rees eggs were just not hatched.

Hi everyone! I'm just stopping in to introduce myself. This is my first year with cream legbars. Can you guys critique my birds? I guess the cockerel is probably way to young to critique but still lol. I have a few more young pullets coming in a couple weeks and i can't wait :)

This little guy is Sonny (one of the new pullets will be Cher lol). He's about 9, maybe 10 weeks old. Still very young and just made the move out to the main coop.

This is Sky. She wouldn't stand still and opted for the photo shoot instead so i had to put a bunch of her up. She was pacing around, waiting for me to pick her up lol.

Hi everyone! I'm just stopping in to introduce myself. This is my first year with cream legbars. Can you guys critique my birds? I guess the cockerel is probably way to young to critique but still lol. I have a few more young pullets coming in a couple weeks and i can't wait
smile.png

Hi Aurora! Welcome to Cream Legbars. I have been away from BYC for a bit but saw your post and wanted to comment.

Your right that your little cockerel is a bit young to say much about. I can say that he does look like a Legbar and probably from the Rees line due to his light coloration.

Your pullet shows a lot of gold in her hackles. But there are a lot of things I like about her. I like her type and her nice white earlobes. She has a nice crest. It is possible that at some point a brown Leghorn may have been introduced giving her more gold in her hackles than cream. But that is just speculation on my part.

Is she laying? I am curious as to the color of her eggs. All in all, she would probably produce some nice offspring with your cockerel. As your other pullets arrive and grow, you may find that they are better choices for breeding. I would wait until you have more options to make breeding decisions but that doesn't mean she isn't worth breeding if you have the right cockerel.

This is all just my opinion, of course. I hope you enjoy your Legbars!

Hi Aurora! Welcome to Cream Legbars. I have been away from BYC for a bit but saw your post and wanted to comment.

Your right that your little cockerel is a bit young to say much about. I can say that he does look like a Legbar and probably from the Rees line due to his light coloration.

Your pullet shows a lot of gold in her hackles. But there are a lot of things I like about her. I like her type and her nice white earlobes. She has a nice crest. It is possible that at some point a brown Leghorn may have been introduced giving her more gold in her hackles than cream. But that is just speculation on my part. 

Is she laying? I am curious as to the color of her eggs. All in all, she would probably produce some nice offspring with your cockerel. As your other pullets arrive and grow, you may find that they are better choices for breeding. I would wait until you have more options to make breeding decisions but that doesn't mean she isn't worth breeding if you have the right cockerel. 

This is all just my opinion, of course. I hope you enjoy your Legbars! 

Thank you for your comments :) she lays a very pale blue egg, lighter than my ameraucanas. I'll try to get a picture later on but my camera is awful lol. The pullets I'm getting (and another cockerel) will be about 6 weeks old when they get here. I'll make sure to post some pictures :)

My JR eggs started greener but became more blue with time. Never as blue as the older lines but with a few exceptions they were a very pretty turquoise with deeper color than the non Reese eggs. Both types very pretty.
The greener Rees eggs were just not hatched.

Turquoise sounds nice. Kristen Rye in San Diego also had CL that layed a nice turquoise color, they were from original stock, not JR.

I have noticed the difference in depth of color between Ameraucana eggshells (you may recall a pretty Wheaten Ameraucana =) and most Cream Legbars.
Does anyone know if there is more than one blue (allele?) involved in the blue eggshell gene?

Turquoise sounds nice. Kristen Rye in San Diego also had CL that layed a nice turquoise color, they were from original stock, not JR.

I have noticed the difference in depth of color between Ameraucana eggshells (you may recall a pretty Wheaten Ameraucana =) and most Cream Legbars.
Does anyone know if there is more than one blue (allele?) involved in the blue eggshell gene?

I have read that there is a slightly different one that appeared in Asia . I doubt you could find any . Same retrovirus insertion but at a different location .

Back
Top Bottom