Cream Legbars

Just put the no crow collar on my boy and the sure did run around backwards. He spent quite a bit of time trying to get it off. Its still not as tight as it needs to be to work but it was sure funny watching him run backwards. Had to pick him up a few times to comfort him and calm him down. He sure is a sweet heart.

I can't remember if I shared here or not (it seems like I shared everywhere else), but a couple weeks ago, my CL rooster was attacked by several small terriers while protecting the rest of the flock (VERY hero). He flew out of his paddock and lured the dogs out of the yard and into the driveway. I was convinced he was dead from the number of feathers in the driveway, but he actually was alive, with only scrapes and relatively shallow bites, but missing LOTS and LOTS of feathers - plucked halfway to dinner.

BEFORE:

AFTER (day after attack):

He is inside and doing extremely well, healing nicely, and feathering back in. Living like a king with his hydrotherapy. He's gonna get so spoiled... (See photo of him being blown dry, which he LOVES):

Meanwhile, as soon as he was injured, I ordered an incubator and started collecting eggs. Seven days after setting them, 15 of 16 are developing (1 was infertile). So I thought I'd show some VERY YOUNG baby CL pics.
lol.png

- Ant Farm
He is sooooo lucky!
hit.gif
hugs.gif
yesss.gif

I'm excited about your babies hope that you get a lot of chicks!
jumpy.gif

I can't remember if I shared here or not (it seems like I shared everywhere else), but a couple weeks ago, my CL rooster was attacked by several small terriers while protecting the rest of the flock (VERY hero). He flew out of his paddock and lured the dogs out of the yard and into the driveway. I was convinced he was dead from the number of feathers in the driveway, but he actually was alive, with only scrapes and relatively shallow bites, but missing LOTS and LOTS of feathers - plucked halfway to dinner.

BEFORE:

He is inside and doing extremely well, healing nicely, and feathering back in. Living like a king with his hydrotherapy. He's gonna get so spoiled... (See photo of him being blown dry, which he LOVES):

Meanwhile, as soon as he was injured, I ordered an incubator and started collecting eggs. Seven days after setting them, 15 of 16 are developing (1 was infertile). So I thought I'd show some VERY YOUNG baby CL pics.
lol.png

- Ant Farm
Poor guy! Glad he made it. I had a visitors dog grab one of my girls once. I thought for sure she was a goner but she was just completely plucked on one side with a minor puncture. I know how it feels and I am happy to see he is doing well.

Great egg photos!

BEFORE:

lol.png

- Ant Farm
poor guy! So glad he survived. The egg pics look promising, fingers crossed for lots of little fluff balls in a few weeks! Hope they take after their dad's good looks!

Do C line hens lay eggs with more of a green tint than the B line?
There seems to be a lot of confusion on imported lines and egg color.

The A, B, C, lines are all mixed together. Unless you have a bird that shipped from Greenfire farm the end of 2011 or first half of 2012 you probably have a bird that is a mix of 2 or more of the A, B, C lines. Further the A, B, C lines were mostly mixed themself to where there was a wide range of variety in the offspring. The 2011 - 2012 pullet from Greenfire farm were probably mostly with egg color between the C6-C10. (Just guesses as I don't have an Araucana Card)

The Rees line seems to have a slightly larger range going from a C6-to C13. (Again a guesses).

You are probably going to be able to find all the B & C numbers and some of the A & D numbers both the A, B, C lines and the Rees line. Picking a line for egg color is like picking a line for egg production, or show quality. You find that in a single line you get good and bad in all areas. The trick is to find a breeder that has been selecting for what you are looking for for many generations. If you want show birds, finding a breeder that exhibits poultry and that culls birds that can't perform a show cages is going to be your best bet (regardless of bloodline). If you want egg production finding a breeder that has a production flock and culls birds that can't perform in the laying box is going to be your best bet (regardless of bloodline). The same is true for egg color. While some genes are hard to breed out once they get into a blood line (i.e. Olive eggs), a breeder that is focused on egg color is going to be your best bet for good egg color whether the start of their line is from the Rees line, the A, B, C, D line, etc.

Last edited:
Look what I found this evening. This is the same egg taken with 2 different cameras. Just looking at it with the naked eye it is more green than blue. But it is the first!
wee.gif

Look what I found this evening. This is the same egg taken with 2 different cameras. Just looking at it with the naked eye it is more green than blue. But it is the first!
wee.gif

Congrats on your first egg.....

color is difficult to communicate via our technology isn't it? You've got different light sources too -- but most important thing, you got that egg. How old is your pullet?
yesss.gif

Last edited:
Congrats on your first egg.....

color is difficult to communicate via our technology isn't it? You've got different light sources too -- but most important thing, you got that egg. How old is your pullet?
yesss.gif

TY. I took several different camera, flash, no flash, diff background , it makes a difference. No wonder eggs are judged on plain plates with white towels under them. The girls are 6 months old tomorrow. They have been teasing us with the egg song for a week, lol. Tomorrow we find out if the cockerel is doing is job when I crack the egg
fl.gif

wee.gif

Our ladies are laying strong around here! I am blown away by how prolific they are. We are getting this cool color off of our Jill Reese line girls

Hurrah!!! Congratulations! I don't have Rees line, but I've been very impressed with how well my girls produce. I'm just more and more enamored with this breed every day.
love.gif

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom