Created a water saver for my duck brooder

That's brilliant, have 11, 1 week old Pekin ducklings who are cute as heck but boy do they make a mess! Thanks for this idea which will be a huge time saver as I have to change their water several times a day and clean their stock tank sometimes twice a day!

GENIUS IDEA! I had the waterer setting in the tray. All I had to do was put the tray under the cage instead of in it and Voila! dry cage. Something so simple yet I never thought of it.
I have two rabbit cages pushed together one side of wire off on each cage and butted together. I had water on one side and bedding and food on the other, it was still a mess. I just switched the water side tray under the cage. Thank You so much for this tidbit. this is why I love BYC and people like you! and I'm sure my ducks thank you, Or maybe they won't since they can't play in the water they spill.

Last edited:
I built mine from a storage tote this time, the wooden one from last year is heavy!

Be sure you use a fresh, sharp blade to cut the center out of a plastic lid! Score it like 4 times before trying to cut it so you don't crack it. The plastic type on mine was really hard.

We used a drill for the holes, cut the hardware cloth to size, bolted it on with washers on the nut side to secure the hardware cloth. So easy to clean!

The hardware cloth is under the edge of the lid, to avoid crud getting stuck between wire/plastic on top. The bolt heads are on top, the rest of the hardware below.

Seriously took all of like 10 minutes to alter the lid on the tote.

This is an excellent idea! The water is the biggest problem with the babies. I had to move mine outside with an extra light to keep them warm enough, because of the smell. They were fine inside until they got about 2weeks after that I could not keep the bedding dry. I wish I had found you all sooner you really come up with some great ideas.

Oh wow, I am so going to try this! I have looking and looking for ANY way to keep those crazy ducklings from making a huge mess all over a few minutes after I put their water jug back in the coop. I have resorted to putting them outdoors all day in the fenced in NON used garden area and putting them back in their coop at night with no food and just a tiny but of water in a dog bowl. Thank you for a fantastic Idea :D

Back
Top Bottom