Creating a goat stall in my old barn

waddles99

Songster
8 Years
Jun 22, 2013
NJ
With the idea of getting goats slowly becoming a reality, i need a place to shelter my nigerians during the night. Their pasture has a 4' fence but what we have hear could get over that. We have a lot of foxes, raccoons, even occasionally a black bear. With the price of these goats, i would hate to see them mauled the next morning. I have a structurally sound mid 1800s barn on the property, and would like to house them somewhere in there. The problem is, its obviously a large barn and they need to be stalled in it, they can't possibly roam around where they could escape or hurt themselves. My budget is around $100, which might be tough. I was thinking i could create a u channel stall setup but the bottom is poured cement. Any thoughts on how to create a stall that will be free standing for under a hundred bucks? Thanks

With the idea of getting goats slowly becoming a reality, i need a place to shelter my nigerians during the night. Their pasture has a 4' fence but what we have hear could get over that. We have a lot of foxes, raccoons, even occasionally a black bear. With the price of these goats, i would hate to see them mauled the next morning. I have a structurally sound mid 1800s barn on the property, and would like to house them somewhere in there. The problem is, its obviously a large barn and they need to be stalled in it, they can't possibly roam around where they could escape or hurt themselves. My budget is around $100, which might be tough. I was thinking i could create a u channel stall setup but the bottom is poured cement. Any thoughts on how to create a stall that will be free standing for under a hundred bucks? Thanks
You could see if you can get scrap wood and build a fence against the wall. Im not much help am? I dont raise goats try this

http://www.backyardherds.com/

If the barn is in good enough shape wouldn't it be easier just to make sure there are no readily exploited exits for the goats? If you can make it goat proof then all you need to do is roll a round bale in there and cut the strings so the goats have a place to lay down at night. If that won't work and you still need to build a free standing stall you could possibly pick up a bunch of pallets for free (Craigslist is your buddy) and just screw or wire them together. If you got say 10 of the 4x4 ones you could make a free standing stall that was 8x12 in the center of the barn. More pallets=more stall space.

Good luck!
RichnSteph

If the barn is in good enough shape wouldn't it be easier just to make sure there are no readily exploited exits for the goats? If you can make it goat proof then all you need to do is roll a round bale in there and cut the strings so the goats have a place to lay down at night. If that won't work and you still need to build a free standing stall you could possibly pick up a bunch of pallets for free (Craigslist is your buddy) and just screw or wire them together. If you got say 10 of the 4x4 ones you could make a free standing stall that was 8x12 in the center of the barn. More pallets=more stall space.

Good luck!
RichnSteph

Thanks for the idea, I might go off of that for the design using 4x4s and boards. For a door I could just use electrical ties and maybe a latch from ace.

I had a similar problem creating horse stalls in my barn with a poured slab. What I ended up doing was borrowing a 1/2" masonary drill from the neighbor and drilling anchor holes in the slab. I then anchored an aprox 3x6 piece of roughsawn timber to the floor with concrete anchor bolts. They were a bit pricey but will last forever. I lined the floor runner up with an overhead beam. Used some roughsawn un treated landscape timbers (about $3 per from the local sawmill) for studs, screwed to the side of the overhead timber and butt jointed to the floor runner. I then cased either side of the butt joints with a 2X4. Side wall was connected with a 4x4 roughsawn notched and screwed to the floor runner and timber on the barn wall. The studs were ready for nailing up stall boards and I built a sliding stall door for the sidewall using a ceiling runner set I had previously salvaged. You could use a gravity or hinged door for goats. The other 2 walls were formed by the barn walls.

Look in unusual places for your lumber. If somebody sells sawmill slabs in your area, they make great stall boards if you clean up the edges on your table saw. The landscape section of your local box store will also have some roughsawn timber useful for farm use and much cheaper than dimensional lumber. Also ask them about cull boards. You may also find rough cut concrete form lumber for about 1/2 the price of construction lumber. Sometimes stained or crooked lumber is available at slashed prices.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom