Creating a new breed

What's your budget for an incubator?
I don't know. The cheaper the better. Maybe $100? Somewhere around there. I know that might not be much but I don't have a lot of money to spend on stuff like this.

I have been looking at used incubators, like someone buys one uses it one and then sells it for less kind of thing. It might not be the best idea though..

I don't know. The cheaper the better. Maybe $100? Somewhere around there. I know that might not be much but I don't have a lot of money to spend on stuff like this.

I have been looking at used incubators, like someone buys one uses it one and then sells it for less kind of thing. It might not be the best idea though..
Farm Innovators model 4250 is the one I use. It is fantastic. $120, and 41 egg capacity. Perfect humidity control, auto turner, great viewing window and temp isn't hard to stabilize.

Last edited:
I have a broody hen so I incubated 3 EExSilkie eggs. None of them hatched. I opened them today after it was obvious that they were not hatching.
Egg #1:
Was rotten. I took off the shell and there was just freely moving yellow liquid.

Egg #2:
Died just before hatching. It had white skin, 5 toes, clean legs, and white and grey (splash) coloring. I don't know if it had a crest.

Egg #3:
Died a few days before hatching. It had black skin, 4 toes, clean legs, and slightly darker splash markings.

I am thinking I will incubate more of these eggs and hope they hatch.
Does anyone have any advice or comments based on this?

I have a broody hen so I incubated 3 EExSilkie eggs. None of them hatched. I opened them today after it was obvious that they were not hatching.
Egg #1:
Was rotten. I took off the shell and there was just freely moving yellow liquid.

Egg #2:
Died just before hatching. It had white skin, 5 toes, clean legs, and white and grey (splash) coloring. I don't know if it had a crest.

Egg #3:
Died a few days before hatching. It had black skin, 4 toes, clean legs, and slightly darker splash markings.

I am thinking I will incubate more of these eggs and hope they hatch.
Make sure your birds are getting enough vitamins.

Any pics of your EE? Is the EE the only possible sire of the cross? You mentioned EE/Silkie cross, in Chicken breeding the first half of the cross mentioned is the Sire/Rooster so EE/Silkie cross would indicate that the EE is the sire, if that is the case going by the unhatched eggs the sire is Id/id+ heterozygote having clean yellow shank and recessive for the id+ dark shank gene.

Any pics of your EE? Is the EE the only possible sire of the cross? You mentioned EE/Silkie cross, in Chicken breeding the first half of the cross mentioned is the Sire/Rooster so EE/Silkie cross would indicate that the EE is the sire, if that is the case going by the unhatched eggs the sire is Id/id+ heterozygote having clean yellow shank and recessive for the id+ dark shank gene.
I think in earlier posts they said the EE is the female, but tbh too busy to go back and look rn.

I think in earlier posts they said the EE is the female, but tbh too busy to go back and look rn.
If that is the case, the EE hen must have had clear yellow shanks, this would have produced a sex linked cross, males with Id from EE hen would have been Id/id+(inheriting the id+ from silkie sire) and white skin. The black skined chick was the id+/- pullet.

If that is the case, the EE hen must have had clear yellow shanks, this would have produced a sex linked cross, males with Id from EE hen would have been Id/id+(inheriting the id+ from silkie sire) and white skin. The black skined chick was the id+/- pullet.
Then I guess it was sex linked. The inly silkie roo is partridge. All EE are female.

It would be much easier if you were okay having feathered shanks. even if you were looking for normal feathering.

Silkie x Americana/EE = F1s will have normal feathers and shank feathering and lay blue eggs, you may just want to stop at F1 due to EEs being more productive than silkies and the F1 will be black skined and larger than silkies.

You may want to search in google for Silkie Easter Egger cross or Silkie Ameraucana cross
I actually have this cross right now. They're pretty cute so far! I thought I would get Olive eggs, so I find it interesting that they'll lay blue for me. would I get the egg production of the EEs with silked feathers if I bred sibling to sibling? They're all half-siblings, so that may help reduce issues associated with inbreeding?

Back
Top Bottom