Creating a teeny tiny flock

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
So about two years ago, I had to move my flock to live with some family members because of local chicken keeping laws. Over this time, the (what was once four) chickens has now turned to only the one which I hand raised two
E88F50BD-A294-40F1-BCAC-D9E9EE00CD3F.jpeg
summers ago (Henrietta). We are planning to make a small coop in the garage (18 square feet) so we can take her back. I don’t have time to raise chicks and don’t want to risk a rooster, but I know Henrietta is gonna need at least one other chicken friend. So my question is, since it’s such a small coop, should I just get one other adult hen? I’m not sure how well they would get along, but Henrietta did only live with one other hen for about a year until that hen was killed by a hawk. Over that time, they got along fine. But she was raised since she was a chick with that other hen. So would it be wise to get one other same sized chicken, or two bantams? Or something else? Thanks so much for y’all’s suggestions and help.

I would pick a breed known to get along well with others and to tolerate confinement. It isn't a guarantee because individual differences make more difference than breed but you may as well stack the deck in your favor as much as possible. Australorp, orpington, and barred rock are some I usually see people here say are not the ones involved with getting along issues.

It will help to introduce them to a new place at the same time. That way none are defending a territory as they get to know each other.

A flock size of three is usually better than a flock size of two. The obvious reason is it is less likely to leave anyone alone is something happens to one. I think there are subtle reasons also. Two is okay, though.

Last edited:
I would pick a breed known to get along well with others and to tolerate confinement. It isn't a guarantee because individual differences make more difference than breed but you may as well stack the deck in your favor as much as possible. Australorp, orpington, and barred rock are some I usually see people here say are not the ones involved with getting along issues.

It will help to introduce them to a new place at the same time. That way none are defending a territory as they get to know each other.

A flock size of three is usually better than a flock size of two. The obvious reason is it is less likely to leave anyone alone is something happens to one. I think there are subtle reasons also. Two is okay, though.
Ok! Yes I will make sure to introduce the hens at the same time. I think will definitely get one of those breeds, I’ve always wanted an Aussie or Orpington anyway :)
We’re planning it so that they won’t be in their coop 24/7. It’s going to be right by a screen door in the garage for natural sunlight. We’re planning on making some sort of secret, outdoor, wheelbarrow-like device that the chickens can be under, but moved around the yard often so they can get their outdoors scratching and pecking. That way, no one should notice them in our yard, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom