Creating bantam EE's breeding project (a friends flock)

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I posted a thread earlier today about creating bantam Easter Eggers. The members were very helpful, and I believe I now have a plan. A friend of mine is using her flock to start a small breeding business. We were originally going to do it together, but I recently found out that my flock has AVL, a viral poultry disease, so I had to pull my flock from the project. Since I will be pulling the breeds I was going to use for the business, she wants to experiment with using her bantam roosters, and crossing them with her EE hens to create bantam Easter Eggers. She isn't comfortable with doing AI herself though, so I'll be helping with that, and logging the progress of the project.
The goal is to get bantam sized chickens, preferably with muffs and a beard (not necessary), that lay green or blue eggs. We have 3 EE hens to work with- Sugar, Spice and Chippet.
She has two bantam roosters- Diva who is a White Tailed Black Japanese bantam, and Tiny who's breed I'm not certain of. I'll post pictures of him in a separate thread and figure that out before I start the project. We'll be inseminating 2 hens I believe, each with a different rooster and see who produces the smallest offspring. We'll leg band the hens to show what rooster bred who, mark egg colors coinciding with the hens color, and leg band chicks that hatch out of the eggs.
After those chicks grow to maturity, we'll breed hens back to the bantam rooster who produced smaller offspring, and breed until we get the desired traits.

This project wont start for another 3 weeks since we'll have to separate the EE hens so they wont be exposed to other roosters who have been mating them. Thought I'd start it now so I could start logging my own progress. Feel free to follow along!

Last edited:
Got a plan for a breeding pen setup. Purchased leg bands in two different sizes, picked out the EE hens we'll use. Got the supplies for AI today. We'll separate them tomorrow.
According the the calendar, we'll attempt AI on the 21st, and set eggs on the 30th.
I'm very excited for this project, going to experiment with setting some bantam fertilized Jubilee Orp eggs as well, and try to get some of those guys in bantam size. This will be fun. :D
Planning on setting-
3-4 of Chippets eggs
3-4 of Spice's eggs
3 of Jubilee's eggs
We'll be setting 11 eggs max in a Nuture Right 360 incubator.
Thanks for following everyone! This is going to be a very fun experiment.
@clbarnar

Update: We did plan to inseminate this week on the 23rd. Sadly, this step will have to be postponed due to my friend getting Covid. :hmm
She'll power through it, but we'll have to postpone for 2 weeks. I'll update you all when we get to inseminate. Its probably a good idea anyway, since the Orpington rooster found a way into the breeding pen about a week ago. She's pretty sure she caught him before he was able to mate the hens, but better safe then sorry. ;)

Update: We did plan to inseminate this week on the 23rd. Sadly, this step will have to be postponed due to my friend getting Covid. :hmm
She'll power through it, but we'll have to postpone for 2 weeks. I'll update you all when we get to inseminate. Its probably a good idea anyway, since the Orpington rooster found a way into the breeding pen about a week ago. She's pretty sure she caught him before he was able to mate the hens, but better safe then sorry. ;)
Thanks for keeping us posted.

1642782661873.png

Back
Top Bottom