Creating LF partridge/pencilled from bantams?

nzchicke

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 28, 2010
I am wanting to start a project on making large fowl partridge(and/or pencilled) using bantams in that colour mated with Lf gold laced.
I have two large GL hens from unrelated lines, one with bad markings that are perfect for this project. And a trio of partridge bantams and some silver hens.
I am wondering if a bantam roo could successfully mate with a large hen? even if the fertility rate is low I do not mind, I would rather not AI, how hard is it?
Then would I imbreed the F1s?
From what I have read I am thinking that this would result in the bantams dying in their shells as they can not absorb a large yolk?
if i want to keep silver in there to segregate later into a silver penciled line, then I need to use a silver rooster, (breed or buy one) or could I use a large roo over my penciled bantams?
(I am aware that it could be mean penning them together but i would think that controlled matings would be ok)
Which mating produces largest F1s?

big_smile.png
Ha you are so funny! lol If it were that easy to just buy some then thats what I would do!
They do not exist in NZ as far as I know! the only large fowl partridge colour around is some barnevelders.
We are not as lucky here we have very limited breeds/ varieties!

Well I am getting about 50% fertility at the moment with a bantam roo in with two large hens. What a good lil man! I have occasionally seen him in the act and it takes a bit of skill to reach and he often slides off in the process
smile.png

Last edited:
Curious, how hard is it for NZ to get stock from Aussie? I know Aussie has Partridge Brahmas, . . . .

Just the same as getting it from anywhere else sadly! looking at over 100,000 NZD at least!
roll.png

No partridge Wyandottes in NZ? That's a surprise, I'd have thought you'd have them since we do. Wouldn't have thought it would be so expensive to get them from here either.
sad.png

I guess what your thinking of doing would work, never heard that bit about not absorbing the yolk though. If you want both colors I'd suggest breeding your partridge bantam roo too the silver hens and keeping one of the roos produced. He will carry both gold and silver genes and you can use him over your large hens.
smile.png

If you want large fowl I'd put the bantam roo over the large hens, the chicks have more room to grow in the larger eggs. He also won't hurt the hens which can happen with a LF roo over bantam hens.

Good luck.
smile.png

I thought about the silver too but have not run into a silver roo yet. But I have another project I am working on which is silver barnevelders, lots of years to go in that one but each generation is pretty to look at along the way!, so I am expecting some odd stuff to come from that that can be used for 'silver pencilled', eg missing melanotics and columbian.

Back
Top Bottom