1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Creating my own feed mix

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cusaranch, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Cusaranch

Cusaranch In the Brooder

Jan 13, 2018
    somewhere 'in-tar' nation
    Hi, I am not new to chickens, but having recently acquired a few chicks a few months ago. The deeper I get into the GMO demise, the mote I want to know exactly where my food is coming from. So I am interested in how to get going on mixing my own feed for my girls. Would love to hear the journey of others on this and how to get started down this road. Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. It's a complicated journey you are contemplating.

3. N F C

N F C you heard the cat, smile! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

By using the Search feature, you can find quite a few posts about this. From the few I've read, it looks pretty challenging. You have to know the exact nutritional requirements your birds need and buying all the ingredients can be costly (unless you buy large quantities of ingredients and have a vermin-proof place to store it all).

Some people have access to a co-op where they can find a good quality of feed. You might check with your local co-op to see what they offer if you don't like the commercial feed you're seeing in the farm stores.

Best of luck!

4. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Crossing the Road Premium Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Madison, FL
    My Coop
    Hello:frow
    Welcome to BYC!!
    So glad to have you here!!
    Thanks for sharing your story!!
    You have come to the right place.
    There are many people on here that are ready to help in anyway they can!
    The learning center also has alot of great information on it as well!
    Enjoy!:wee

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Lots of members here on BYC have tried making their on feed. Some successful, some not. I tried it once, pretty complicated. But, you might stop by our Feeding and Watering your Flock and get opinions and help with making your own feed...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/feeding-watering-your-flock.12/

Good luck and welcome to our roost!:)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  6. Chicken Whisper101

Chicken Whisper101 Songster

Jan 14, 2018
    Monks Corner SC
    Welcome to BYC!

7. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict

Welcome to BYC, I would consider the organic feeds at Tractor Supply if concerned. Or possibly fermenting your feed at least the yeast get first crack at the gmos. Other than that you have some great suggestions above, my solution to move to the Mexican border and buy Mexican produce isn't for everyone.

8. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Free Ranging

Jan 18, 2017
    Middle Earth
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to BYC! So glad you could join us!!! :ya

~Meg :D

9. Welshies

Welshies Crowing

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Making your own chicken feed is very complicated. It's not throwing whole grains together and hoping for the best. They have dietary needs which can be provided in a variety of ways. Protein, one of the biggest components, comes in many forms- soy, bone meal, fish meal, other vegetable and animal proteins. And it's not one-size-fits-all, that is, unless you create your feed to be a 20% grower, and provide oyster-shell free choice on the side for the adult layers. There are many ways to find feed that is pre-made, and it's often a lot less work, and a lot cheaper. If you are a beginner, I suggest you look at different types of pre-made chicken feeds and look at the many brands, as they will be available at your local livestock store.

10. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict

I read a really good article on creating your own feed once, and yes decided it was entirely too complex to attempt. There are probably some good recipees on this site that can be found so you don't have to do all the math and calculations that are involved in doing it right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: