Creative coyote deterrents?

There are many ways to deal with coyotes.
Some are more grueling than others. It depends on how serious you are about it.
Does your community love coyotes? If so, you have no recourse.

Otherwise, there are leg traps, pitfalls, fishing techniques, electricity, poison and others I'm sure.

People might think of me as cold, but anything that wants to disrupt my lifestyle or food supply is subject to eradication.

Up until I installed 4 Solar Nite Eyes, I had a pair of foxes that crossed my yard daily. I don't have wire buried around my run... only Nite eyes on each corner of my "sealed" coop/run. Nothing has attempted to dig in. I haven't seen hide nor hair of the foxes, nor any coyote, raccoon, opossum, etc...

Last edited:
I would look into rules concerning electric fence. They're a good deterrent. Kids and dogs learn real quick to avoid it. If your kids are very young, you can always unplug the fence when they are out playing, but I'm not sure I'd even let my small children out to play if the coyotes are that brazen. Calling animal control or DNR to report the behavior is also a good plan. I wouldn't mess with a BB gun. Unless you're closer than would be comfortable in the first place, it wouldn't penetrate the pelt enough to phase them anyway.

I've shot at feral or stray dogs with a red rider from 100'. It's very effective. The sound when you pull the trigger and anything unexpected that hits near or on them will scare them away.

Good ideas - I will look into nite eyes. I'm going to have a pellet gun on hand soon, as these two are only about 30 feet away when they come. Clearly they need a reason to take me more seriously...right now they merely trot a few yards away if I go out toward them. Nobody in the neighborhood wants them around.

Nite eyes work great for me, and we have coyotes come into our yard daily, chasing rabbits and raccoons, which are also scared off by the eyes. I use the red nite eyes, I tested with white and yellow and red worked the most effectively. I hope your problem is solved safely and efficiently. You can also use paintball guns or BB guns if possible. Good luck!

I hate coyotes! I have lost my whole small flock ,save one EE, I dont know what I should do with her now . I dont know if She will do Well in her coop and run through winter by herself. I will be getting herding dogs. I like the idea of hot wire, poison and any other way to kill the coyotes. I am broken hearted and angry like Client Eastwood. They uses to have bounties here for coyotes. Bring an ear and a foot for 25$. Ours are brave daytime in my yard killers also.

I hate coyotes! I have lost my whole small flock ,save one EE, I dont know what I should do with her now . I dont know if She will do Well in her coop and run through winter by herself. I will be getting herding dogs. I like the idea of hot wire, poison and any other way to kill the coyotes. I am broken hearted and angry like Client Eastwood. They uses to have bounties here for coyotes. Bring an ear and a foot for 25$. Ours are brave daytime in my yard killers also.
Google coyote fishing.

I wasn't able to find a good article. But basically build a big tripod, or find a tree nearby with a strong branch. Get some 100 lb test line and some large treble hooks.
Bait the hooks with large chunks of meat, and hang them appx twice the shoulder height of the coyote.

It's going to be awful and messy, and you'll probably have to dispatch the coyote with a firearm, but hey, revenge can be sweet.

Last edited:
I understand your not wanting to use hot wire - I'm assuming for the protection of the kids and pets. On the other hand I would be extremely worried about the kids being outside if they are coming so close. Especially if they are coming around in the daytime. I have seen coyotes in my area during the daytime but mostly at twilight and after dark is when they are naturally most active.

But you can get hot wire that doesn't have a continuous current but a pulsing current. The reason is that if kids or pets accidentally touch or grab it they will be very unhappy but won't get hurt or trapped on the wire. But the first time a coyote sticks his nose on it they will think twice about coming back.

I currently have a pulsing electric fence. I have touched it a few times by accident. The most it does is a very unpleasant surprise and because it pulses on and off I can let go of it immediately.

A rifle with a scilencer is my go to. Second choice is a .22 long rifle with the "quiet" rounds... they dont have as much powder in them so shooting it in the city limits or in a neighborhood is no biggy. Just gotta know its all safe and good to go... and they will kill...

Third is mix some good good table scraps that you csn add a little water to in with a can of golden marian fly bait... get it at the farm store... mix it in strong, its gotta disolve some... its blue granuels.... put that food/fly poison mix out for the coyotes to eat... ita kill em, and anything else that eats it... cats, coons, possums, humans... be very careful!!!

If you have a fence... put up snares.... then kill em as you wish.

I am not a great shot and I never see the evil preditors till after the deed is done. I still want advice about my lone hen. She is safe as i wont allow any more free range till She is safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom