Creative Duckling Brooder Ideas?

Thanks everyone for all the thoughtful responses. We had some weather in the mid 60s today and I put them out in the garden in a large dog crate to get some fresh out. "Stink like farts" is right. It wouldn't be so bad if I could keep the bedding dry. Has anyone tried brooding on wire mesh with some type of easy to clean capture system below? I'm going to have to build something soon because these little devils are doubling in size every 3-4 days and I have 12 more eggs in the incubator set to hatch in 3 weeks.... AHHHHH! What was I thinking hatching ducklings in the middle of the winter?
See this thread...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/731419/idea-for-a-brooder/20#post_10150590 I feel your pain, lol!

I think the biggest thing with having wire floors is that you need to make sure that the openings are small enough that feet/legs don't get caught and that you use a completely smooth or plastic covered wire. Hardware cloth is small but it is rough. I wouldn't want delicate little feet walking on it all the time.

Your best (and cheapest) option will be to just make something to control the splashing. Right now I have my ducklings waterer on top of a metal pan that is covered in hardware cloth. They can reach it and the splashing goes into the pan. The pan is sold as a pig feed pan at the feed store (I think), its about 4" tall and 18" diameter.

I brood my ducklings in a rubbermaid tub until they outgrow it. I use cloth diapers in the bottom and wash them very frequently. They absorb a lot of moisture. I shake out the poops outside, then throw them in the washer with a little bleach.

I've also used the extra bathroom bathtub (which my husband was NOT thrilled with). It works great, though. I put diapers in the end away from the drain and their water right next to the drain. That way any spilled water doesn't sit there creating more mess and I can hose out the tub and let them swim every time I change their bedding. Ideally, they aren't in the brooder very long, though. In the middle of winter, it's obviously not the ideal situation; I don't know what you were thinking!
smile.png

Just saw this message, so sorry if I am late in responding. You have a few options but as mentioned if water is available they will splash in it.

this is a system you find info for on the Goose Mother. Said to reduce water mess greatly and catch it.

We raise ducklings in these

the shelters can have ceramic heaters hung in them for super young ducklings to snuggle under. The entire floor is 1/4" x 1/4" cage wire. The floor of the shelter area can be wire (for hosing down and cleaning) or we have drop in wood floors we place hay on for resting/sleeping. the front end has an opening in the floor where a cement mixing pan fits as a pool. The pools get wire "covers" over them for super young ducklings. We can set their water on it. Once old enough we open the pool to them and place escape ramps of hardware cloth that they can climb up and down on.

Back
Top Bottom