Creative Outdoor Brooding Help

Tooshay89

Chicken Tender
5 Years
Mar 25, 2016
Central Florida
Okay, so I need to see if I can come up with some creative way to provide heat that I'm not thinking of... or someone to tell me I'm out of luck and there isn't a crazy scheme that will work for what I'd like to do. Either way.

So, I already have an established flock of 5 orpington hens and an Ameraucana rooster in my coop. I'm getting ready to incubate a couple more orpington eggs this weekend. We lost 2 of our girls while attempting to free range. One word - hawks. Anyway, after putting some thought into it, I'd really like to be able to brood the babies outdoors alongside the bigger gals in the coop. I have the space to create a brooder area, all of the typical brooder supplies, heating plate, etc... but what I DON'T have, is electricity.

Our coop/run is not in our backyard anymore, it's across the street on our 10 acre property that we purchased a few months ago. We're planning on building a house there in the next year, but until then - no power. So what's the best way to go about this? Obviously the chicks need heat, and it's winter. Although, when I say "winter" I mean highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s - it's Central Florida. We typically skip winter and substitute it with bearable temperatures and a couple of almost freezing temps thrown in there for a few days.

I've always been done brooding inside, but integration sounds a heck of a lot easier to start them where they can see the other chickens. How soon can the chicks be without heat in the coop? Is there a way to rig up something to provide enough electricity to power a small heat plate (Brinsea Eco Glow.) What about a solar panel? A battery power source? Give up and brood them inside?

Heating usually takes up quite a bit of power...so a solar set up would be rather extensive, but might be worth your while long term.
Properly sized collectors and battery storage would be key,
can be costly and takes up space, but, again, might be worth your while long term.
I don't know enough to advise you farther than that tho.
You certainly have enough sun down there, I think.

Back
Top Bottom