Creativity needed!!! Designing tractor for longtails

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savannahchickmom, Mar 5, 2012.

1. savannahchickmom

savannahchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Savannah, Missouri
    :)
    I have looked at every plan I can get my hands on. Just cannot find "the one."
    My yokohamas are tiny, but I want to build a tractor they can use when they need
    The extra tail room too. The problem I keep having is - if it is tall enough to
    Allow for the tails, it is HEAVY or else it is so lightweight that a good Midwestern windstorm
    Will carry it far far away...

Common people - I need your brains & your creativity!!!

Thank you!!

:)

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Subscribed! I have Phoenix, Sumatras and a project. Needs some ideas too.

3. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    I live in the Midwest and use a very lite setups. Nothing has blown away yet. Of course, we have only had 70 mph winds for our strongest wind speeds in the last couple of years. They can be put together to make any length of run or coops. The one shown here is in smaller pieces, but can be put together as two 5'x5'x4 1/2' coops and eight 5'x5'x2' runs for a total of 500 sq. ft.. The perch height can be adjusted to what ever height you feel you need to keep there tails off the ground.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ga...9273/user_id/122612#page=0&sort=display_order

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto

This is kind of what I was planing with PVC.

5. Jaxon4141

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    I use pvc only were I want a round edge or I need reinforcing, such as the watering station. All I use is a wire cutter, some zip ties and hog rings. This make onsite setup easy.

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto

I love zip ties. I'm planning on moving when I can find what I want and I'm doing each section separately so I can take them down to be able to move them. Maybe after I find a place to buy I can do something more heavt duty, but for now this will work. I'm building several, but I had just finished the first panel and ran to pick my grand daughter and slipped and broke my wrist. Three weeks later had surgery to reset and add a late and that was last week. The first panel is still laying out in the back. LOL I'll get to it one of these days.

7. savannahchickmom

savannahchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Savannah, Missouri
    Thanks for posting everybody! Jaxon4141 - I have looked at your pictures over & over. Quite a setup! Do you mark & drill all of those little holes for the wire to go through the PVC?

8. Jaxon4141

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    Yes I do. It's the only part of making the coop that takes some time. I usually cut the PEX to length, in this case 11.5', lay a 5'x5' fencing. Lay the fencing on top of the PEX and cut the wire where I want to insert into to the PEX. Then werever the wire crosses the PEX is where I mark and dirll. I'll need to rewrite this so the insturction are clearer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by