Cree Or Crele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crele is a color of chicken. Cree, I don't know what it is besides the last name to a breeder of Marans and Ameraucanas. Which are you looking for?

Crele can be found on Old English Game Bantams as well as in project form on Polish, Orpingtons, and other breeds.

I've now got them in d'anver and just started work on them in bantam phoenix. Like Illia said, they are available in most all common breeds some where, some like the old english are just more common cause they have been around for ever.

all they are is a barred bb red.
they are easy to make. Take a male (must be a male) barred or cuckoo and breed it over a female bb red.
you will get all barred, some showing bb red a little, some just carring it.
Easiest way from here is to take your best looking new male and breed it on to bb reds again and you're done.

One thing to know is how difficult they are to breed when taken to each other. The initial breeding of Cuckoo to Buff will get you Creles. But, Crele to Crele will most likely not be as easy. I recommend you get some Cuckoos and Buffs of the desired breed you choose. I have Orps and have reall Cuckoos and Buffs. I will be making them here after this upcoming show. Once I am done with showing my Buff pullet, she is going in with my Cuckoo Orp cockerels. But, even those high dollar Creles will be a high numbers game to keep that look going. Good luck!

Quote:
I am thinking this cross is how everyone is making the lemon cuckoo right?? A true crele must come from a bb red x bar.

tandersphoenix - Exactly.

Buff x Cuckoo eventually down the road makes Lemon Cuckoo, but TRUE crele, even as BoggyBottomBantams said, is BBR with barring. (A duckwing bird with barring) - Buff is Wheaten based.
wink.png

Quote:
I am thinking this cross is how everyone is making the lemon cuckoo right?? A true crele must come from a bb red x bar.

The guy who gave me my Cuckoos said to expect Creles in the initial season first breeding. I will be doing what he says and use them how he recommends.
I can always ask BoB Fellows as well. BoB will know way more then I. He is a wealth of knowledge. And am learning from his expertise. I will ask and see what he says.. He is in Wales right now so it maybe a couple of days till I get an answer. But I will post and ask about IF Cuckoos are used to make Creles, and ask about how he says to make Lemon Cuckoos as well.

I just posted and asked BoB. I will post his reply as soon as he post it.

Last edited:
Pretty much it doesnt matter what ol Bob says, to make a crele bird you must use a MALE cuckoo or barred bird to a bb red (partridge ) hen.
some F1's will come out pretty close in the males for you, now take those back to your bb red again and you have them.

double factored creles as in all barred or cuckoo based birds tend to get washed out and faded in color, so for that nice bright color it is best to use your males over bb hens, this will keep your color as bright as it can be. Double factored ones (a chick coming from 2 barred parents) will be nice too, but are a good bit paler.

the use of a buff in the cross as you have talked about is not how to get a crele.
anytime you cross an male barred bird to another color, your end result will be that color in a barred pattern eventually, so basically you are making barred buffs (lemon cuckoos) very beautiful in their own, wish I had them in d'anver, but you cant get crele from them in any way.

Here's some F1 crele project d'anvers from last years hatch

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

here's one of their dads

IMG_1625.jpg

note how pale grey he is, he's double factored, my single fatcored males are black and thin white barrs

here's the bb reds used for their mothers

IMG_1779.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom