Crele Orpington

chickenlee

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
Kingston
Anybody want to brainstorm on the "easiest" project plan for creating a crele orpington? What would you start with and how would you plan out your crosses over the next few generations?

chickenlee,
I already had given away a few pure bred crele type LF Orp roosters this spring since I can not add any more colors due to available room. I have three cuckoo pullets that I had kept for myself. I just had some cuckoo chicks hatch yesterday but they are promised to a relative. Yes, that would be an easy project for someone just breed a buff to a cuckoo and get creles and then go on to the Buff cuckoo from there. The only thing is the buff cuckoos are now available thru Greenfire and it would be cheaper to buy them then to make them. You could buy some from Greenfire and breed them to blacks and you should end up with a crele type looking bird the first generation. Good luck.

we are in Canada so it is tricky to find a breeder in the US who is willing to do the paperwork and vet inspections required for import, this is why I was looking into breeding them, or something similar ourselves.

I'm interested in large fowl.

buff, black, blue (splash), lavender, a few whites I think....so would mean crossing with another breed then back crossing to the orpington standard.

Are you looking to make true Crele ? Which is Barred Red Duckwing ( barred BBRed) if so Buff X Barred isnt going to give you that true crele color, with that you will always get a variation in the patterns unless you eventually reach lemon Cuckoo. I have some young Lemon Cuckoos for my LC Orp project I am working one, and I will be working one a few more orps and will probably end up making Creles sometime, probably by accident or in route to another color. I dont really care for the crele color in hens.

Yes, true crele hens are a little dull but the roosters are just gorgeous. I was going for true crele. How about a crele Old English Game crossing with buff and working from there? I believe that would have the barred red duckwing in the OEG....what other breeds are available in true red duckwing? One could always do a 3 way mix with barred (rock?) x something red duckwing then use that roo to cross to buff orps?

Back
Top Bottom