Crested cream legbar - is not growing

I also have a CCL chick, about 7 weeks old now, that I got with a mixed flock of chicks, all of them the same age. She has been significantly smaller than all of the other chicks pretty much from the start and she has feathered out WAY slower than the others, but she eats as much as everyone else and is one of the most active chicks in the group. I was a little worried about her at first, but figured it might have something to do with all of my other chicks being dual-purpose breeds and she's really more of a laying breed... I have no idea, but it sounds like its not uncommon for them to be on the smaller side?
I'm not sure if this photo is really great for showing scale....
View attachment 2589823

She is turning out to be such a sweetie, always runs over to jump in my lap ❤️
View attachment 2589827
Ohmygoodness, she is darling!!! Her crest is cute! :love

Hi! Brand new here, first flock and I of course already have questions.
Midge, my crested cream legbar was hatched on March 12. She is a week younger than the other chicks I brought home with her a couple weeks back.

Last week I brought home a couple more chicks (silver laced and a RIR) that were hatched the week prior. This is already sounding like a logic problem puzzle...
My new RIR is already the same size as Midge and she's two weeks younger. Is this normal for the breed or something?
Here are photos of my adult Cream Legbar next to her flock mates - she’s smaller in body but not in personality!

Attachments

• B53CF200-83A5-46E2-9DBD-F51A95495173.jpeg
    B53CF200-83A5-46E2-9DBD-F51A95495173.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • E0BF113D-3AB2-4E51-87E5-A80B887C6F19.jpeg
    E0BF113D-3AB2-4E51-87E5-A80B887C6F19.jpeg
    995.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 6513AB5E-5D30-4C44-AAE5-2FE380785044.jpeg
    6513AB5E-5D30-4C44-AAE5-2FE380785044.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
I also have a CCL chick, about 7 weeks old now, that I got with a mixed flock of chicks, all of them the same age. She has been significantly smaller than all of the other chicks pretty much from the start and she has feathered out WAY slower than the others, but she eats as much as everyone else and is one of the most active chicks in the group. I was a little worried about her at first, but figured it might have something to do with all of my other chicks being dual-purpose breeds and she's really more of a laying breed... I have no idea, but it sounds like its not uncommon for them to be on the smaller side?
I'm not sure if this photo is really great for showing scale....
View attachment 2589823

She is turning out to be such a sweetie, always runs over to jump in my lap ❤️
View attachment 2589827
Her "do" is adorable!!♥️

Thanks. I have an appointment in two hours. I hope they can tell me what’s wrong, and that at a minimum, it’s not contagious. She is my favorite!
I took her to the vet. No injury with the exam. She said maybe she felt and hurt her hip further up or maybe it was a milder version of the infection that killed her sister. She said to keep up with electrolytes and probiotics and keep her separated. Here’s the new set up.

Attachments

• 917BF284-EFFC-46F3-8956-B5934F2892ED.jpeg
    917BF284-EFFC-46F3-8956-B5934F2892ED.jpeg
    622.1 KB · Views: 13
She’s beautiful! I hope my baby girls pulls through!!!
Thank you! She’s the only survivor from the set of three we got last year. Absolutely broke my heart to loose the other two.

The chicks I have now are Jill Reese Cream Legbars and I expect them to be even better looking (not that it matters but I’m excited about it).

LOVE the crib set up for sweet baby girl. Here’s hoping she just needs some time to heal and she’ll be be-bopping along soon! :fl

Back
Top Bottom