crested runner ducks from ideal

Yes!
smile.png

I have fawn and white crested in the bator. Due in a week or so to hatch. Are crested runners a showable breed? Or does it just add to the colors crested ducks come in?

Hmmm, good question. I know you can show Crested White Pekins and Crested Calls. So I think you can show those too, just list them on the entry form as Indian Runners, under the variety: crested fawn & white.
wink.png

wow, I'm so grateful to all those posting about the problems with crested ducks. I ended up with one crested duckling, wasn't what I wanted, but thought hey why not. He's kind of quirky, had no idea why, then came across this thread. Explains a lot. Why isn't this info out there all over the place?? Glad I came across this while I only have one, I'll make a point to never bring home another!

Crested ducks are crested because of a skull defect. Yeah they look cool but they carry a lethal gene. If a crested duck breeds with another crested duck and you try to hatch the eggs, you get a lot of ducklings that die in the egg or that hatch with horrible deformities.

Regular runners are cute enough with the whole crested issue.

Amen!

So i just got a crested runner baby duck. I was not informed about their gene defect i wish they would of because he is a sweety and i am already attached. I have never had ducks before and have looked up all the info on how to raise them and got that covered. But i'm wondering he doesn't walk for a long time he sits a lot and one time his leg was streched out behind him. Is this normal?

So i just got a crested runner baby duck. I was not informed about their gene defect i wish they would of because he is a sweety and i am already attached. I have never had ducks before and have looked up all the info on how to raise them and got that covered. But i'm wondering he doesn't walk for a long time he sits a lot and one time his leg was streched out behind him. Is this normal?
Ducklings do what your talking about, they will walk and lay down get up and walk some more then lay down, it's just a ducky thing, and they like to do ducky yoga too, so please don't worry about your duckling it is most likely going to be fine. I would buy some niacin to put into it's water for the first 10 weeks of it's lil ife, it will help with neurological and leg problems that could develop, 100-150mgs per 1 gallon of water. plain niacin not time released or flush free.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom