Crests verses Tassels - What's going on Genetical

Interesting! I was just looking at the Schijndelaars on Greenfire and noticed they had very small crests AND very small crests. This got me a little perplexed, but that does look like a pea comb to me.

Looks like a pea comb to me too, in all of Greenfire's pictures of the breed.
I think crest size is caused by selection for various modifying genes that we don't understand much about.
I think some kind of modifying genes are probably also responsible for the direction the crest goes (forward like Spitzhauben or Brabanter, backward like Schigndelaars or Cream Legbar, up and all over like Polish or some Silkies.)

Looks like a pea comb to me too, in all of Greenfire's pictures of the breed.
I think crest size is caused by selection for various modifying genes that we don't understand much about.
I think some kind of modifying genes are probably also responsible for the direction the crest goes (forward like Spitzhauben or Brabanter, backward like Schigndelaars or Cream Legbar, up and all over like Polish or some Silkies.)
I certainly agree. There is so much variation one gene cannot seem to describe it all. I had an idea comb type was an influencer, but direction is another thing altogether!

Yes, Legbars should be Cr/Cr but should be selected for smaller crests because the single comb and large crest are incompatible.

I have seen Legbar hens with fairly large crests. I personally hate it and find it contrary to the standard and the utilitarian nature of the breed. I select mine for small crests that allow for straight single combs and good visibility so my hens aren't more prone to predation when free-ranging.

I am curious if there's any tendency towards crest size being a bit dimorphic. My Houdan cocks have fairly sparse crests compared to the hens which I appreciate. They're excellent flock guardians and are able to keep an eye out and alert their girls, who can't see around them nearly so well, to any danger. My male Legbars also have considerably less-noticeable crests than females, sometimes you have to really look for it, LOL, and I am totally fine with that because those boys have the best combs. HOWEVER, winning Polish and Silkie males have crests just as wild and abundant as the hens, so... I am very curious about this point.

Overall, though, It's the same selection process that makes the difference between, say, hatchery silkies with small crests and show silkies with HUGE crests!

Back
Top Bottom