Crevecoeur bottom feathers

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
Hi! This question is just for curiosity: our nine month old Crevecoeur pullet has odd, really long white feathers that look like strings growing around her vent area. I've an attached a photo of the pullet (she's on the left) and a close up of her feathers (they are even longer and more prevalent than you can see in the photos). Is this common/normal? We have two Crevecoeur pullets and only one has this feathering. In ten years of chicken keeping, I've never seen long, random feathers in a chicken's vent/bottom area. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7755.jpeg
    IMG_7755.jpeg
    909.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8172.jpeg
    IMG_8172.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 15
I’ve have always loved the black sex link. Especially with their bronze color tone with the black coloring.

But the Crevecoeur sound lovely for a suburb chicken, if they are that quite. :p
The Creveoeur is a nice balance for the screaming Fayoumis and Black Star/Sex Links (they are champion egg layers and I like their clean, flat combs). They bear confinement really well and don't wander the entire neighborhood when they free range like some of our other hoodlums.

Plus, how can you not love this face? LOL

Attachments

• IMG_6421.jpeg
    IMG_6421.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 7
It kinda odd but it shouldn’t be too much of a concern.
By the way, what is the other chicken breed next your Crevecoeur? :p
According to Murray McMurray, the other chicken squaring off with the Crevecoeur is a Black Star. We love our Black Star, but they are bossy, loud, greedy girls.

I'm including another photo of the Crevecoeur my daughter took today. She is for sure healthy (and silent... I don't think she or her sister have ever made a peep), but the long hairs are just such a curiosity!

Attachments

• IMG_9183.jpeg
    IMG_9183.jpeg
    748.3 KB · Views: 10
According to Murray McMurray, the other chicken squaring off with the Crevecoeur is a Black Star. We love our Black Star, but they are bossy, loud, greedy girls.

I'm including another photo of the Crevecoeur my daughter took today. She is for sure healthy (and silent... I don't think she or her sister have ever made a peep), but the long hairs are just such a curiosity!
I’ve have always loved the black sex link. Especially with their bronze color tone with the black coloring.

But the Crevecoeur sound lovely for a suburb chicken, if they are that quite. :p

We originally had three Polish (two in our order, one was the "free chick"), but they were almost pecked to death in a matter of an hour by the other chicks in the same order. 💔 Everything was great for a month and then suddenly it was blood lust. Separating them didn't help, so they had to be rehomed to another family with Mareks in their flock. Crevecoeurs seem less prone to bullying, despite their fancy good looks.

I know I really hate on Fayoumis on this forum, but I secretly love our surviving pullet. There's something about her mean little face, independence, beautiful feathering, and wanderlust that's pretty great. The sheer volume of her screams and resistance to Mareks are bonuses. I say go for it with the EFs! If they are too bonkers, you could always rehome them.
I think someday I’ll go for the Fayoumi along with Sicilian Buttercups. :p

Back
Top Bottom