Crevecoeur rooster

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
Our Crevecoeur rooster is a funny little thing. He's almost 9 months old and still isn't crowing. I've even caught him sitting in one of the egg nesting boxes. He's flighty and gets picked on by the twelve hens and pullets (nothing bad, they just peck him if he gets too close). He's super human adverse (although not aggressive), hasn't grown spurs yet, and I haven't observed him trying to mate with anyone. Like the female Crevecoeur, he is really quiet.

I know there's a lot of variety with rooster behaviors, but for all you Crevecoeur friends out there, are your roosters generally quiet? We're not zoned for roosters (although some neighbors have them) because we live in a dense suburban neighborhood, although the neighbors have all said they don't mind hearing our birds, possibly because we ply them with lots of eggs lol. I'm crossing my fingers that Archibald aka Peeners is a quiet boy.

I'm attaching a photo of him squaring up and eventually backing down to one of our sassy Black Stars.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7755.jpeg
    IMG_7755.jpeg
    819.2 KB · Views: 69
I think ol' Archie needs a name change? Maybe you should name her Petunia? It looks like Peeners is a she, not a he. Might lay eggs and never crow? :oops:

Also, not to be rude, but your Black Star kinda looks like a Black Australorp. :(

That would be great news, indeed! I posted photos of the two Crevecoeurs when they were younger and everyone who saw them on BYC said one was a cockerel. "He" has a very different body shape than the pullet ("his" head feathers are more like a faux hawk than the female's whose is more like a bushy mullet), has no long tail feathers, is super nervous like all the other roosters we've had, and doesn't have the devil horns we were hoping for lol. So possibly a pullet?

I'm posting some photos of "him" I just took. He's been taking a dust bath, so forgive the dandruff look. I tried to photograph "him" along with the pullet, but it's hard to see "his" profile. It would be good news, indeed, if "he" turned out to be a pullet because of noise issues (our Egyptian Fayoumi already outscreeches any backyard dog for miles). And... more eggs!

Hahaha... no offense taken! We ordered two Black Stars from Murray McMurray, but it's possible one is an Australorp. She looks slightly different than, but is as loud as, the other Black Star (who has more red feathers around her shoulders), but acts very different than our six year old Australorp (who is unfriendly towards humans and very quiet). This "Black Star" is super adventurous and feisty. She scales walls and drops down 10 feet into a neighbror's yard and has to be rescued because she can't get back up. My kids call her "Dog" because she's fearless and has "never had a bad day." Have you had both Black Australorps and Black Stars? Is there much of a difference?

Thanks for your response :)

Attachments

• IMG_8899.jpeg
    IMG_8899.jpeg
    795.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8896.jpeg
    IMG_8896.jpeg
    538.8 KB · Views: 37
He is very pretty, just I don't see the pointy hackles or any sickles. If he is a he, he'd sure be a pretty boy. :love
Murray McMurray? Did you get him from there too? How was ordering from Murray McMurray? I was thinking about possibly ordering from them in the spring, but I've never done that before. I always wanted to, so if I can, I'm quite excited for it! :)
Yes, I've had both Black Stars and Black Australorps. I liked the Black Stars much better than the Black Australorps. The Australorps were more noisy and not as friendly. I did have one Australorp that was friendly, but my friendly Black Star was friendlier. On the Black Stars, I did have one that wasn't friendly, and was impossible to catch. She was very flightly too. The Black Stars was more aggressive than the Black Australorps. I didn't really see too much of a difference in the long run, but I did think my Black Stars were prettier than my Black Australorps. When I got my Black Australorps, there was a mistake that was with them. It was a Black Jersey Giant. I wasn't too happy about that, especially when it was discovered because she was getting bigger than the Australorps. The reasons why I'm thinking that your hen is Australorp, not Black Star, is because of the no other color in the hackles (which isn't a really big deal), and the face. My Australorps had the blackish face until they started laying and their combs redded out. I don't think that my Black Stars had the black faces. Between her face, legs and solid black feathers, she looks Australorp. By any chance did she have any white wing feathers as she grew? They're probably not there now, just wondering if she did. My Australorps did when they were growing.

He is very pretty, just I don't see the pointy hackles or any sickles. If he is a he, he'd sure be a pretty boy. :love

Thank you! I just went down to the coop (working from home definitely has its benefits for obsessive chicken watchers lol) and the normally skittish Crevecoeur let me touch it (them? her? him?) and also did the fancy little crouch dance, so now I'm convinced we might indeed have another pullet. That would be such good news, sound-wise!

Murray McMurray? Did you get him from there too? How was ordering from Murray McMurray? I was thinking about possibly ordering from them in the spring, but I've never done that before. I always wanted to, so if I can, I'm quite excited for it! :)"

We *loved* ordering from Murray McMurray. It was our first time and we got 17 day-old chicks in June. One of the RIRs died the next day, but so far, so good with the rest. We did, however, need to rehome four Polish (one was the "free chick" they offer) because they were being picked on mercilessly by the others. They were vaccinated for Mareks and Coccidiosis.

So far, so good with the Mareks (which we have in our flock--the Polish were rehired to another flock with Mareks), but one of the Phoenix got Coccidiosis (we treated the whole flock and she recovered). They were really great about letting us change our order and, if we don't have a Crevecoeur rooster, they were all sexed correctly. 17/17... not bad. I definitely recommend them and would love to hear what you decided to get!

We ordered:
Phoenix (so adorable and sweet--would definitely get more)
Crevecoeurs (super quiet and fun looking)
Rhode Island Reds
Easter Eggers
(our first time having these--awesome, quiet birds with gorgeous coloring)
Black Stars (?) (really loud, greedy, adventurous, beloved by children)
Buff Minorca (really flighty and an escape artist--wouldn't get another, but they seem to be really heat tolerant)
Egyptian Fayoumis (gorgeous small birds, but kind of a headache--they are super flighty/human adverse, unbelievably loud like I imagine a dinosaur would sound, not good for suburban coops, and roam all day in the neighbors' yards... unfortunately one was killed by the neighbor's dogs)

Yes, I've had both Black Stars and Black Australorps. I liked the Black Stars much better than the Black Australorps. The Australorps were more noisy and not as friendly. I did have one Australorp that was friendly, but my friendly Black Star was friendlier. On the Black Stars, I did have one that wasn't friendly, and was impossible to catch. She was very flightly too. The Black Stars was more aggressive than the Black Australorps. I didn't really see too much of a difference in the long run, but I did think my Black Stars were prettier than my Black Australorps. When I got my Black Australorps, there was a mistake that was with them. It was a Black Jersey Giant. I wasn't too happy about that, especially when it was discovered because she was getting bigger than the Australorps. The reasons why I'm thinking that your hen is Australorp, not Black Star, is because of the no other color in the hackles (which isn't a really big deal), and the face. My Australorps had the blackish face until they started laying and their combs redded out. I don't think that my Black Stars had the black faces.

Your birds sound awesome! 😍Thanks for this information about Black Stars and Australorps. We had a Black Star we absolutely loved (she acted just like Queen Charlotte on the Bridgerton tv series lol), but after reading your post, I honestly don't know if we have two Black Stars.

Between her face, legs and solid black feathers, she looks Australorp. By any chance did she have any white wing feathers as she grew? They're probably not there now, just wondering if she did. My Australorps did when they were growing.

I've never really cared for our Australorp. She's quiet and just kind of "there," so I don't know if she had white wing feathers. The two Black Star (?) pullets didn't have white wing feathers, but they look pretty different from each other. One is solid black and the other has red feathers around her shoulders. They are both super loud. We don't plan on hatching eggs (and certainly won't if we don't have a rooster lol!), so I guess it doesn't matter what we have 😂. Thanks for all your great advice and insights!

That would be great news, indeed! I posted photos of the two Crevecoeurs when they were younger and everyone who saw them on BYC said one was a cockerel. "He" has a very different body shape than the pullet ("his" head feathers are more like a faux hawk than the female's whose is more like a bushy mullet), has no long tail feathers, is super nervous like all the other roosters we've had, and doesn't have the devil horns we were hoping for lol. So possibly a pullet?

I'm posting some photos of "him" I just took. He's been taking a dust bath, so forgive the dandruff look. I tried to photograph "him" along with the pullet, but it's hard to see "his" profile. It would be good news, indeed, if "he" turned out to be a pullet because of noise issues (our Egyptian Fayoumi already outscreeches any backyard dog for miles). And... more eggs!

Hahaha... no offense taken! We ordered two Black Stars from Murray McMurray, but it's possible one is an Australorp. She looks slightly different than, but is as loud as, the other Black Star (who has more red feathers around her shoulders), but acts very different than our six year old Australorp (who is unfriendly towards humans and very quiet). This "Black Star" is super adventurous and feisty. She scales walls and drops down 10 feet into a neighbror's yard and has to be rescued because she can't get back up. My kids call her "Dog" because she's fearless and has "never had a bad day." Have you had both Black Australorps and Black Stars? Is there much of a difference?

Thanks for your response :)

They both look like pullets, to me. There is some variation in size, and I have to say that my first Crevecoeurs from Murray McMurray were not uniform.

That's great that he is a she! Now what are you going to call her now? She couldn't be called Archibald anymore? I did have a Basil that turned out to be a hen, but Basil stuck so well, that I couldn't change it. So she stayed as Basil.
For years I've been wanting to order from Murray McMurray, so I've got quite the idea of what to get. It's just the fact that there is so many, and I can't afford them all. The Phoenix and the Buff Minorca is ones that I'd really like to get. Along with the Cream Legbar, White Orpington and maybe a Turken (I've been really wanting to try out a Turken lately, so it doesn't really need to come from Murray McMurray.). I'd like to try out the Egyptian Fayoumises to study, and for their great health, but am not too sure. (I dream about almost all of them from Murray McMurray. :rolleyes: :love )
I've never heard of Queen Charlotte on the Bridgerton tv series, ( or even if the Bridgeton tv series) but I'm wondering if Jazz (Queen of the Church Birds, a Black Star) acted like her like yours does. Jazz was all about style, always looking her best. (She was on January of the BYC 2020 calendar) She had this thing about getting "offered". What would happen, is I would get her to come over with treats, then I'd snatch her up. Then she'd hold her mouth open as if she couldn't believe that I'd actually dare to pick her up! It was the funniest thing ever! I've never seen anything like it before!
The white wing feathers was like their thumbs, and wasn't very noticeable. I noticed them because I like to pick up my birds and look at their wings if they let me. I don't know if I've ever heard of anybody else noticing that.
I currently don't have a rooster. I was thinking if I am able to order from Murray McMurray in the spring, that I might try getting a rooster, but I'm not sure yet. I've heard that the mystery chick is often a rooster, so I might wait on a rooster. I love hatching out chicks, but it always depended on some hen going broody.

Back
Top Bottom