***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
Sager, I'm not really the person to ask. I am VERY new to Crevecoeurs and have never had Polish. I would suggest to print off the standard of perfection for each breed and then compare them.
Personality wise or other traits not in the standard, again, I am no help there. I just know that I love the personalities of my Crevies.

I'm not sure if the pic is just at a funny angle, or if his comb is not right? It seems kind of lopsided. He's young. Just started mating a few weeks ago so I'm sure he's still growing. Think it will even out? I'll have to give him a good look tonight.

I have joined the group of owners as of last weekend. I have a very nice quality flock that I bought from RareFeathers. I finally got them set up in the big run and coop. I had to go out and toss Pierre, and 2 of the Madams into the coop after dark. They were sitting out in the rain on a roost. They didn't seem to have gotten the memo on the newly re-covered run area that got done this weekend. We no longer have any reason for a chicken to get wet here on the soggy side of Washington State.

Oh my goodness, my first hatch *ever* and so far so good, five new Crevecouer babies as of this morning!! I guess I did not really expect them to hatch, given my surprise when I first saw the little pip holes. : ) Right after I set this first dozen in the incubator, I slipped two under a newly broody Cochin...so I might have two more coming from the hen house also.
Guess I had better get the brooder set up.....

Oh my goodness, my first hatch *ever* and so far so good, five new Crevecouer babies as of this morning!! I guess I did not really expect them to hatch, given my surprise when I first saw the little pip holes. : ) Right after I set this first dozen in the incubator, I slipped two under a newly broody Cochin...so I might have two more coming from the hen house also.
Guess I had better get the brooder set up.....

How exciting! We will need pictures for sure.

I have one egg in the bator that my girls laid right after they came to me. They seem to have taken a break from laying. It was a very long move to a very different climate, so I can understand why they may want a break.

I seem to not be able to figure out how to put text with photos.
Anyhoo, five babies in the photo, added one last hatchling later. Six total. I'm thrilled. First hatch for me, first eggs for the happy couple. : )

OMG! Ontime, Just, Mom, Kalyan! So, so happy to see your posts. I was getting so depressed about not seeing any more posts on here that I gave up looking for a few weeks. Now I see these gorgeous pictures and hear such good news about hatching.
I am so happy for you.
Those pictures are amazing of the happy couple. Ontime, would you think about sending it into Backyard Poultry Magazine with a little article on Crevecoeurs? YOu would get a free year's subscription of the magazine.
That is frameable.
MMM, I am really, really new to Crevies from last fall. I had three cocks from my first shipment of chicks. Only one has a comb similar to the one in your picture. I think that is quite close to the standard. My other three cockerels have combs that don't come close.
I think you have a gem there, but I am no expert. I am planning to use only the roo with the near perfect V for breeding.
Whoever goes to a show might want to pay attention to judging and ask the judge what the point distribution is for the combs. There are very few poultry shows up here in Vermont, probably none have Crevecoeurs.
I am hoping to get down to a poultry show in Massachusetts some time along. But I will check ahead to see if any C's are entered.

Pat, I would be happy to send a photo to Backyard Poultry, but I can't picture writing an article...I know next to nothing about them except what I have observed about my own ( 3, a very small sample ) birds.
I know they fly well and need a covered run. Mine are friendly enough but flighty and easily spooked. The girls appear to have sort of matte black feathers, while HIS are gorgeous...slick and iridescent. They have really large nostrils. His eyes are probably too light, but he certainly earns the term "cocky". His name is Valentino. I have read that they are good eating, and I intend to find out once I have a large enough population to give it a try. I think that exhausts my store of knowledge.
Oh, and I like it that they have a crest but it does not obscure their vision.

If anyone has photos of hens that they know are correct, would love to see them. I have some fear that mine are a bit 'polish' like....

Babies are vigorous and healthy so far.

Back
Top Bottom