***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
Your birds are gorgeous, and the chicks are adorable. Thank you for sharing the photos. I am still super new to the breed, but I was told that at least 2 of my hens are show quality. I was also told that Creveies rarely win anything big, because the polish ten to outshine them. I have never shown before, so I will be starting from scratch. It could be very interesting.

I forgot to add that I will try to get pictures of my flock tomorrow. I haven't had time to get any pictures yet.

I'm so happy to see these posts.
Ontime, maybe the value of the article to Backyard Poultry could be just what you talked about, being new and falling in love with a rare breed. You could give overview of their history, which isn't much. But also the uniqueness they have as a new addition to your flock and homestead.
It could spur others to think about the breed.

Bugged, I admire the courage to take on showing and why not just go for it. I used to show rabbits for years and I am not sure about showing poultry, due to the distance to shows and such.

Please keep us posted as you go along with this adventure. We could all learn from your experiences.

Wow, I haven't been on BYC for a while! I feel so guilty since I began this thread...
hide.gif

Those are some gorgeous birds! If you need to refer to what they should look like/the standard, I believe I have it copied to the first post.

It is difficult to find any forum posts or discussions about Crevecoeurs.
Yesterday afternoon my whole flock of Guineas, Orpingtons and Crevies were free ranging and having a ball. At one point when I looked out, I saw one of my Crevie roosters roaming around with a band of 8 or so guineas. Last fall they were chicks and keets raised together. It was amazing to see this because the roo is much smaller than the Guineas , but they were grazing around in whatever direction he took them.

Folks, what matters is that the breed gets seen!
I became interested in the Portuguese Water Dog in the late 80's. VERY few and far between. Seeing and talking to owner/handlers was a thrill. We now have our 3rd PWD who I had shown for awhile (OFA xrays came back mild dysplastic.)
I plan to support several homestead breeds and hope to see any of them at a show.
If you are attending a show and have half decent birds, enter them just to be seen. Maybe I'll be there hoping to see even one bird and talk to you or someone else will see them and get interested.
So what if the judge doesn't place the bird. It was seen and that is what counts.
I don't have any yet but I will root for your entry at Ohio in Nov!!
KalyAn.

Yes, I agree totally. We need to promote the breed at every chance possible.
I am fortunate that I am getting some inquiries for Crevie chicks. However I am being very selective about who I sell to. I don't want them thrown in with a farm flock where any old rooster is going to breed with the Crevie hens and ruin the genetics.

Fortunately there are some people who are willing to be dedicated. This of course can be challenging for folks new to poultry and means that if they have non-Crevecoeur roosters they have to separate them if they are going to hatch eggs.

Me, my vacation is next week and will be spent constructing a bachelor pad in one area of the barn. I'll make it a nice open room with wire walls for the most part so that the gents and ladies can have plenty of room, air and light until the ladies have laid the eggs I want to incubate. I have an Orpington roo and a Buff Orpington roo and I don't need them interfering with the Crevecoeur hens unless we're planning on eating the eggs.

Yes, I agree totally. We need to promote the breed at every chance possible.
I am fortunate that I am getting some inquiries for Crevie chicks. However I am being very selective about who I sell to. I don't want them thrown in with a farm flock where any old rooster is going to breed with the Crevie hens and ruin the genetics.

Fortunately there are some people who are willing to be dedicated. This of course can be challenging for folks new to poultry and means that if they have non-Crevecoeur roosters they have to separate them if they are going to hatch eggs.

Me, my vacation is next week and will be spent constructing a bachelor pad in one area of the barn. I'll make it a nice open room with wire walls for the most part so that the gents and ladies can have plenty of room, air and light until the ladies have laid the eggs I want to incubate. I have an Orpington roo and a Buff Orpington roo and I don't need them interfering with the Crevecoeur hens unless we're planning on eating the eggs.

So how did the construction of the bachelor pad go?

Just want to make sure everyone sees this! Great deal. I will be getting eggs from her as soon as my bator is is empty. I need to get my boy some girls.
love.gif
My boy is such a good roo. I really enjoy him.

Back
Top Bottom