Crevecoeur

Here's a funny Short video of my three Crèvecœur cockerels sourced from Greenfire Farms.

Two conform very well so far, while Michele Cockerel has questionable horns which may be more oak leaf. He is the largest, but will probably be available in a month or two.

The others will stay forever as part of our breeding program which will be growing along with our big coop project now underway. These guys are pretty uniform just as we'd hoped.

II have found two pullets for $35 each. They are 4 months old. The person wants $35 each for the pullets and I think this is expensive. I would like to know what is the appropriate price for 4-month-old Crevecoeur pullets in Texas

II have found two pullets for $35 each. They are 4 months old. The person wants $35 each for the pullets and I think this is expensive. I would like to know what is the appropriate price for 4-month-old Crevecoeur pullets in Texas

We paid $30 each for day-old chicks from Greenfire Farms. Who is selling them? I'm aware of pullets selling for $100 each from breeders. YMMV

I am not sure where the lady got the Crevecoeur. She has decided to sell her flock and has 2 left. East Texas

There are reportedly about 1,000 Crèvecœurs in the world at any given time, from what I understand from the Livestock Conservancy. If I want Creves outside of my flock, I have one source in my whole state. It depends on how much you love the breed, I guess.

There are reportedly about 1,000 Crèvecœurs in the world at any given time, from what I understand from the Livestock Conservancy. If I want Creves outside of my flock, I have one source in my whole state. It depends on how much you love the breed, I guess.

I am happy to have found this thread. @CreveChris , do you by any chance sell/ship eggs or chicks? My son has fallen in love with this breed and would very much like to raise them and possibly show them. The Conservancy said that some of their birds were used by McMurray, so he has some of those coming, but isn't terribly optimistic about their quality. He may order a couple from Greenfire, but I'd read somewhere that their quality had fallen off recently, so we're looking to see if we can connect with people who are actually breeding these guys. Thanks for the information in this thread.

There are Crevecoeurs available, if you know where to look.

Livestock Conservancy Breeders List:
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/breeders-directory

Jeannette Beranger's Crevecoeur Conservation page on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/CrevecoeurConservation
I don't Facebook, myself, but this page is viewable even without signing in.

Polish Poultry Breeders Club, also on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/polishbreedersclub
This club is for all crested birds, including Crevecoeurs and Sultans.

Last year's article in Backyard Poultry covered Jeannette's Crevecoeur project and gave names of several breeders:
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountrys...evecoeur-chicken-conserving-a-historic-breed/

I myself advertise on Poultry Show Central.

The best way I know of to find any breed in any state is to use the NPIP website:
http://poultryimprovement.org

Most serious breeders and people who show birds have their flock inspected and certified in the National Poultry Improvement Program yearly, so it's pretty much a current list.
But... it's a bit of a pain to use. First, you have to find the NPIP code for the breed you are looking for in the Stock Codes list under the "Animal Health" heading.
(Hint...large Crevecoeurs are "R88" and bantam Crevecoeurs are "W156".)
Then, you look for that code in the state you want to shop in. The full list of state reports is in the menu under "NPIP Participants by State/Territory."
(I am on page 5, in Missouri.) The hatcheries are on the list for their states, too.

Everyone on this list is inspected yearly, unless they have "H5/H7 AI Clean" in the additional classifications column, in which case they are inspected every six months. The inspection doesn't check for every possible disease, but you can have a good level of confidence that someone official has looked at the birds once or twice a year.

You will see contact info there, too, which should help. This is not an advertising list, so not all of them will necessarily have stock or hatching eggs for sale.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions!

I am happy to have found this thread. @CreveChris , do you by any chance sell/ship eggs or chicks? My son has fallen in love with this breed and would very much like to raise them and possibly show them. The Conservancy said that some of their birds were used by McMurray, so he has some of those coming, but isn't terribly optimistic about their quality. He may order a couple from Greenfire, but I'd read somewhere that their quality had fallen off recently, so we're looking to see if we can connect with people who are actually breeding these guys. Thanks for the information in this thread.

We just vaccinated our new hatchlings for Marek's and they are probably all going into our program right now because this is our first year with Crevecoeurs. Our source flock were day-old chicks from Greenfire Farms. They added a Blue Crevecoeur to our order, and we have two lovely chicks from our blue hen.

In the future, we will have local chicks and breeding pairs just to get folks around here started. We took a chance and went with one roo (we had three) for breeding because he conformed so much better than the others and was fat and pleasant. He's a great roo, very gentle but still buffles at me on occasion if I'm late letting them out of the tractor to free range (supervised, of course).

Thanks for thinking of us, and I chose Greenfire over others for Crevecoeurs, if that helps any.

Our chicks are on YouTube:

Back
Top Bottom