Crippled chick help

May 30, 2023
I have this sweet little late hatcher that hatched last of all 42 of my chicks. He took forever to hatch and when he finally did his toes were curled up bad. Two hours later the still hadn’t improved so I made him some little masking tape shoes and carefully arranged his toes and trimmed of the extra. He could not walk with the shoes on. I helped him get food and water and two days later I took the tape off and he’s made zero progress his feet are still curled under him. He can stand for a few second but if he falls he can’t get back up. Is there anything I can do for him at this point or do I need to cull him?
IMG_5402.jpeg

If there has been no improvement after 2 days in shoes, I'm afraid it's not going to get better. Personally, I would cull, but it's up to you if you want to care for a special needs bird for the rest of its life.

He wants to walk around so bad but he can’t keep himself up. He’s been struggling for almost three days now and he’s worn himself out. He’s starting to give up I think :( I might have to cull him to keep from prolonging his suffering which breaks my heart because he’s been trying so hard
how is he?

Back
Top Bottom