Crippled Chick?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BWQ, Jan 22, 2012.

1. BWQ

BWQ New Egg

Dec 16, 2011
    Eddy, Texas
    On my recent hatch, I had a crippled chick whose leg is bent behind it. The chick is super healthy but obviously can not walk. It can scoot around quickly and get where it needs to go but I can not imagine it having a quality life once it is old enough to go outside. What do you guys do with your crippled chicks?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    cull...its rough, but i'd grab a pair of sharp scissors and go for the base of the skull. I've had a chick like this before, may seem healthy enough, but as the days go on mine didn't grow as fast as the other and quickly became the runt. Its sad, but probably the right thing to do.

how old is the chick now anyway? I've heard of a few people keeping them separate and trying to fix the problem, but mother nature has a way of working.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have heard of some folks raising chicks with such disabilities. I knew a lady that hatched a parrot with a similar situation and she kept the bird in a basket all the time in the house. The bird lived a very long time and seemed quite content.

You need to decide if the chick seems healthy enough to continue on and whether or not you are willing to care for it. Good luck!

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Depends on if you are willing to care for it. Many people would say cull. I could never never never do such a thing and would love to care for a chick like that! Really, up to you.

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    to each his own. many people on here care for "handicapped" quail, many with crooked beaks, broken legs, backward legs, everything, its all depending if you want to care for such a bird, some of us are, some of us arn't.

6. Quail-Crazy

Quail-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    I know a story (i possibly read it here) of a lady who hatched a chick with a closed eye and a crooked beak, She keeps it in a seperate enclosure and takes good care of it.

I couldn't cull any bird of mine, i mean a goldfish of mine died this morning and i was in floods of tears for a good half hour. (I know, i'm a soppy sod)

But its up to you.

7. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I teared up when I hit a butterfly on the highway! I would never be able to cull a chick but I also wouldn't have the time to care for it.

8. Apatedolos

Apatedolos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    Thats so sad. I wish I lived closer and could take care of it for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by