Critical breeds list

Quote:
I'm sorry, but Spanish what???

Also, not to knock the system, but I cannot see how the birds can be listed as "critical" if hatcheries are continuously cranking the things out?

White faced black Spanish--I'm assuming?

As far as the hatcheries go--I'm not sure I understand that, either...unless they are meaning that QUALITY birds are critically endangered? Or perhaps that a lot of those chicks die before adulthood? LOL I'm not sure...

Hatcheries are not breeding to SOP so they do not count them. Many of us know that if you buy hatchery birds and breed them pure many times you offspring will come out something else. Many hatchery chickens are mixed and only look like the breed, but when bred together you get the other breed they were mixed with. Those of us working on heirtage lines that are breeding up from hatchery birds can tell you how fustrating it is to breed true. It take time to get good chicks out of hatchery lines. Now not all hatcheries are this hard but the big 2 it is real hard. Your smaller ones tend to be better for purer birds.

THe ALBC polls their membership re what they are raising & from this data they assemble their "lists". If you are a member & don't respond or if you are not a member your flock doesn't exist to the ALBC.
There are some breeds & varieties on their lists that are legitimately in short supply. Most however exist in far greater numbers than indicated by the ALBC.

I don't have any of these but I am so glad that you posted this!
smile.png
thank you

I have two Buttercup Pullets.....got them from TSC so they are from one of the hatcheries. But they are beautiful and fun to watch. Very quirky. They are just coming up on laying, I think, so their combs are finally starting to become a "cup".

I don't have any recent pictures of them with their cup....here is one of the girls a couple weeks ago. Probably right around 17 weeks.

laybuttercup1.jpg

Don't have a roo so they will just be making me breakfast.

Also have a flock of blue andalusians (also from hatchery). Have a blue roo, 1 splash pullet, 1 black pullet, 2 blue pullets...not sure what I am going to do with them, but do expect to hatch some chicks out for fun.

Well, I went from Partridge Plymouth Rocks to Delawares when a PR roo threw an entire generation of DQ pullets. I just went through every bird he produced that's got mature feathering and every single pullet is shafted (has light feather shafts - a no-no in PRs).

I got the Delawares to see how they "were" on range. And ended up liking them a great deal. Big buff hearty birds, lots of confidence, irritatingly intelligent.

Since I did get some heritage and breeder quality birds in the Delawares I'm going forward with them and selling every PR on the property but one... Can't lose Penelope - just too great a hen. Keeping a black rock and a blue rock. But I can keep working the Delawares and intend to join the ALBC next year, now that I've enough pens and coops and incubators (LOL) to work progressively.

I'll probably reintroduce PRs when I have the funds to bring in the eggs I want from the show breeders I now know. Breeding when you care about what you produce, is always a labor of love and a work in progress.

I wish my PRs had worked out but who knew such a great male would produce shafting... I won't do dual lined PRs I think that's wrong. Next time I'll start with better birds now that I do have contacts.

Probably not until Fall next year. I want a couple/few generations of sorting for better birds before I sell eggs.

These combination of lines are young, and new to me and I'd still like to bring in more and stronger heritage or show quality birds.

I don't mind selling culls - people can see what they are getting and be shown what is not correct and then if they buy it's on them to improve but eggs... Eggs require a certain level of quality going in, more responsibility to my mind to be offering a better product.

So I want to sort and get an understanding of what I have before I sell eggs.

At least all my PR's are going to one guy who's become interested in the variety through my birds. He thinks they're beautiful DQs and all.

Back
Top Bottom