Critique my brooder

P.S. I never used paper towels over shavings, with the towel down they should be fine and I like to "pick up" a little every day so their little poops don't pile up. Not a big deal when they are small and just eating grain
smile.png
But to each her own! You really can't go worng, so many people do it SO many different ways! This was my first year with chicks, ever, and I have not lost 1 or had any leg/feet issues with newspaper and pine shavings in large box tops. I use tops to legal boxes so they don't kick the shavings all over and it stays somewhat where you want them! I also like to put large sticks in there for them to sit on and jump over, give them little things to move around and play with
big_smile.png
And I have my feeder, just like yours, in a large pasta bowl/plate to keep them from scratching all of their food out, they end up wasting A LOT of food. It's ALL good whatever you do!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
What do you mean "fluff"? I want to give mine some... Lol.
big_smile.png

I use pine shavings or at any pet store you can get the fluffy pet bedding! Walmart has it! It comes in a plastic bale looking thing next to their pine shavings.

Looks so nice!!!!!

I'm a newbie but I can tell you from a newbie perspective, like others said, I would probably move the food and water to the far side away from the light. I would also check the temp with the light on. I thought I would be able to rest my light on the top of the cage but it was too cold! So I had to hang the lamp inside the cage which has been a hassle and more time consuming than I anticipated! I will be glad when they are big enough to have the light on top.

I'm only 5 days in with this whole chick raising thing. Some times of frustration but all in all, so much fun! Good luck with your babies! Be prepared to fall in love!!

Here is a pic of my newbie brooders as the chicks have grown....and I got more! LOL! 1st was a 2 box condo! Food and water on newspaper on the other side!

82252_brooder.jpeg

And Down stairs with more room!
82252_brooder2.jpeg

Frankly, the reason there aren't pine shavings in there is because I forgot to buy some at IFA. But, we'll see how the towel works, and I can definitely move to something else later.

Moving the food and water to the other side of the cage is a good idea, I'll do that.

terrilhb, I'm not offended at all. I'm making a fort knox for when they go outside. We have coons.

Hurstshens: I see you are from Utah. I am as well. Thanks for all the great advice!

ETA: The light is on right now. I'm going to check the temp periodically throughout the evening.

Last edited:
UTAH! Yahoo!!! Just have fun and be creative, I never used a temp gauge, just went by feel and how chicks reacted, how close they were to light and eachother, they like to sleep together, drape their necks over eachother, and that gives them extra warmth.

In the box? LOL! Yeah, those ware the Welze twins! (Welsummers) I just couldn't stop buying chicks so I would get 2 more every week or so! LOL! We said 4 max.....

Back
Top Bottom