Critter proofing 2 large outdoor coops

I agree pictures would be nice. One picture is usually worth a thousand words. There are many predators that will dig. I have had coyotes that have dug that far. Nothing has penetrated since I put the electric wires around my coops and pens. I think the predators actually teach their young that a chicken isn't worth getting zapped for. As I said previously cameras are nice too, then you will know what is lurking around and can form a plan. Good luck...

Ground hogs dig that far or further, and they it's a highway for whoever got to your chickens. Here in southern Michigan, that would be the story.
Having your location on your profile will help! Also post on your state's thread, if you are in the USA.
Mary

What was it, that dug that far?
Beats the sprinkles outa me, lol! What's even creepier about it is I took a photos to show a friend that ended up being a "when you see it" pic, because on closer inspection, you can see two nasty "I'm gonna eat all your chickens" eyes peering dimly from the hole. I cant seem to find the photo though... I will update as soon as I do.

Ground hogs dig that far or further, and they it's a highway for whoever got to your chickens. Here in southern Michigan, that would be the story.
Having your location on your profile will help! Also post on your state's thread, if you are in the USA.
Mary
Oh shoot, sorry! I'm in the PNW.

Our coop is raised on concrete footers. The plywood floor has a layer of hardware cloth underneath. So the floor is hc, then plywood, then a pond liner, then five or so inches of sand. We used 2” x 4” fencing to “skirt” the coop so critters don’t get underneath. The run is constructed with 2” x 12” boards around the perimeter then 2” x 4” fencing. Most is under a metal roof. What’s not, is secured with more fencing. On the ground outside the run, we dumped #1&2 rock (the larger stuff) to deter diggers.
79CDDCBC-21C4-4BCE-BA0C-C58FAB442510.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom