1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crock pot apple butter, help!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Chickn chick 46, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    I cooked this for 5 hours on high, I chopped the apples pretty small, added the spices. I used Galas

My question is, is this suppose to be chucky b/c whisking it isn't really doing anything. Did I screw it up? Help!

2. check out scrambled eggs receipe, it is one of the best I have ever made, I think I have only l small jar left so glad apples are comming back in alsoneed the cider for my ACV. marrie

3. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    I have not made this recipe but a friend has and she puts it in the blender when taking it out of the crockpot before cooking it again.

4. desertcat

desertcat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Amarillo
    I cook my apples until they are soft and then puree with an emersion blender (aka boat motor). After that everything goes in the crockpot for about 5-6 hours.

5. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I put mine in the blender then put in my jars and canned it. one batch after I used the blender I put it back in the crock pot and cooked it some more to remove more liquid. I averaged out cooking mine about 7 hours on high

6. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Ok, thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up putting it in the blender on low speed and just for a few seconds. I didn't want to annihilate it [​IMG] It came out pretty thick actually, although I haven't had any after it sat in the fridge overnight.

I think next time I will adjust the spices a bit. I didn't buy the AP spice b/c I had all the spices that are in it at home, so not knowing the ratio of cinn., allspice and nutmeg in AP spice, I think I put too much nutmeg in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by