Crockpot Incubator Saga III: Shipped Quails Eggs...?!

Pics

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
Next in my crockpot incubation adventures... Coturnix! Did I spell that right?

Holy yolks, these egg are soooo teensey and cute, I’m totally in love!!!

68B6662F-5A6D-4D03-9CC7-F99F44BB0947.jpeg

This hatch is going to be quite a challenge since most of the eggs have severely saddled air cells. USPS must have really manhandled the box considering the seller only lived 80miles away.

I let the eggs sit for 12 hours with no improvements to the air cells, so I figured they may as well just go in the pot.

———
Below is the crockpot set up that I drafted during last hatch...
I ended up removing the glass to promote moisture loss.

The basic premise is a crockpot plugged into a thermostat controller. It’s filled with water and then lined with a double layer of plastic (just a trash bag), making a cozy water bed for the eggs to sit on.
9DA46603-1133-4649-8C09-65ECFE3FEC12.png

What I love about the pot incubator so far is that it’s low cost and easy to clean. Dumping out the water, rinsing the crock and switching out the plastic bag took me a grand total of 5 minutes.

0AAB4EFF-337F-4F17-BF9F-BFDF291588AB.jpeg

The eggs have been in the pot for the past 16 hours. I've set them upright, but am at a loss as to how to turn them... Posted a thread in the quail forum asking for advice, hopefully someone will grant some soon!

Also, In case you noticed, I recieved 18 eggs, but there’s only 17 in the pot. Well that’s because one was cracked and .... I ate it.

A3C3C985-9F06-47D1-BB78-0A7EB90D27DE.jpeg

Anyway, here we go... ladies and gentlemen... crockpot saga no.3. May the odds be ever in my favor :fl

Oh and, feel free to join in, whether you are also incubating or just to hang out. I also desperately need quail keeping advice while we wait for these eggs to cook!

Some stats from day 0.

Thermostat temp was 37.2C for the first 8 hours then notched up to 37.4C.

The eggs are so tiny...with half the egg buried in the water bed to keep them upright, I’m a little worried about over heating:idunno

A44BA76D-FA6F-4B31-8970-92E0701FC856.jpeg

Next in my crockpot incubation adventures... Coturnix! Did I spell that right?

Holy yolks, these egg are soooo teensey and cute, I’m totally in love!!!

View attachment 2815256

This hatch is going to be quite a challenge since most of the eggs have severely saddled air cells. USPS must have really manhandled the box considering the seller only lived 80miles away.

I let the eggs sit for 12 hours with no improvements to the air cells, so I figured they may as well just go in the pot.

———
Below is the crockpot set up that I drafted during last hatch...
I ended up removing the glass to promote moisture loss.

The basic premise is a crockpot plugged into a thermostat controller. It’s filled with water and then lined with a double layer of plastic (just a trash bag), making a cozy water bed for the eggs to sit on.
View attachment 2815259

What I love about the pot incubator so far is that it’s low cost and easy to clean. Dumping out the water, rinsing the crock and switching out the plastic bag took me a grand total of 5 minutes.

View attachment 2815258

The eggs have been in the pot for the past 16 hours. I've set them upright, but am at a loss as to how to turn them... Posted a thread in the quail forum asking for advice, hopefully someone will grant some soon!

Also, In case you noticed, I recieved 18 eggs, but there’s only 17 in the pot. Well that’s because one was cracked and .... I ate it.

View attachment 2815257

Anyway, here we go... ladies and gentlemen... crockpot saga no.3. May the odds be ever in my favor :fl

Oh and, feel free to join in, whether you are also incubating or just to hang out. I also desperately need quail keeping advice while we wait for these eggs to cook!
Ooh I'll follow along with this one too! I have never had quail but I do kinda want some in the future!:) Aww I love how small their eggs are! I've never seen white quail eggs. Only the greenish ones!🙂 Edited to add: Good luck!!!:clap

Ooh I'll follow along with this one too! I have never had quail but I do kinda want some in the future!:) Aww I love how small their eggs are! I've never seen white quail eggs. Only the greenish ones!🙂 Edited to add: Good luck!!!:clap
Welcome back! You’re like my number one crockpot fan, hehe.

When I learned that quails require a lot less space and are quieter than chickens I figured it would be worth it to give it a go :) maybe it’s not for me, but I won’t know until I try!

The photo doesn’t do the eggs justice, but they’re this pretty baby blue. The females need 2 copies of the blue egg gene to lay blue eggs though, so I’ll also be getting regular speckled quail eggs!

Hopefully all goes well, if not, I have some local sources for regular coturnix eggs to fall back on...

Last edited:
Candled... Day almost 2..? I think this one may have started developing during shipment.

5B57D8D0-96C6-417A-8B8F-735C12B7C175.jpeg

It’a one of the few with a nice round attached air cell... but it’s looking quite advanced for day 2!

I’m seeing some development in a good number of the eggs :)

Keeping humidity down is going to be a constant struggle. Getting it to 50ish isn’t too hard, but any % under that is at the whims of the weather gods 😩

6D08D9A5-4B03-4543-86C1-73BC2057B8E2.jpeg

Candled... Day almost 2..? I think this one may have started developing during shipment.

View attachment 2817396

It’a one of the few with a nice round attached air cell... but it’s looking quite advanced for day 2!

I’m seeing some development in a good number of the eggs :)

Keeping humidity down is going to be a constant struggle. Getting it to 50ish isn’t too hard, but any % under that is at the whims of the weather gods 😩

View attachment 2817397
I love how whenever you candle a quail egg, it looks green inside!!😁

Back
Top Bottom