Crooked beak chick

I have a wild dove with a similar beak- crisscrossed, it came and wanted in the cage, so it came to live in a cage. It eats from a small bird dish and has been fine for a long time. doubt it would have made it in the wild. Good luck

Quote:
I thought my little crooked beak was a hen for the longest time. Around 22 weeks she developed Rooster feathers. Now at 25 weeks he looks like a roo, but acts like a hen. No crowing, never tries to mate, doesn't peck at or get pecked on by the Rooster. I don't think he knows he is a rooster. I will keep him as long as he keeps eating and looking happy too.

Hey, I'm really sorry about your chick. I have an Amerucana with a SEVERELY crooked beak. Raised her from a chick didn't notice when we picked her out. She's about 19 weeks old, her beak is severely overgrown, since its so crooked. Poor thing can hardly even eat. She's so hungry, she's basically drooling all over her food and trying as hard as she can to get some. If that's not bad enough, all the other chickens (I own) peck at her. Almost her whole entire back has been cleared of feathers, thanks to all those pesky little rascals. And so, she's starving, having her chicken mates pull her to pieces, and every morning she basically freezes to death. So, if you get any other crooked beak chickens in the future, maybe you should consider what would be best for him, and think of how he feels, before you consider how much you'd miss him if you had to put him down. So, that's all I want to add.

I have a one week old bantam that had a crooked beak...that is slowly getting worst. I hatch the eggs from my chicken, and I heard this was genetic...could be transmitted down. Is this correct?

My Americana hen is just like that. She's about 2 months old now. Acts like she's always hungry. I think it takes longer for her to eat. I make sure she gets alittle more time to eat than others. She's growing. I was wondering if I could cut her beaks to make them alittle smaller. I know the agricultural growers for eggs and chicken cut one of their beaks, to keep them from peaking each other I guess. Is it like a fingernail with a certain amount to cut off before they bleed? Who could do it for me? The way they are growing, they could get really out of hand to where she couldn't eat. They would be in her way.

I have a hen that has a crooked bottom and top beak (she is pretty fat so I am guessing she is getting plenty of food). She is fine! I wouldn't cull her until you KNOW she isn't eating or drinking.

Are her poops runny? If they are runny then she is getting more then enough water.

Hope She is ok!

~Bernaboo111

Hi thanks for your inputs on the crooked beak chicky..i have the same situation..born july 15th he eats from a deep dish and drinks water also..his top beek is curved like a hawk...how can i trim it? with a nail file?...is it fixable? and how much just the curved part?...please help or should i find a vet who can possibly do it..hes very loving and come to me to pick up..please advise..thank you...kathy

I have a question about crooked beaks, I have a 7 week old Silkie who has a crooked beak and would like to know how it will effect he/she in life? Both top and bottom are aligned with each other so the whole beak slants to its left. Sorry about the quality of pic, cell phone shot as well. It seems to eat and drink just fine as it is one of the bigger ones in the bunch, I obviously don't want to use it as breedin stock in the future but I am just curious as to its well being, I don't want it suffering.

I have a 2-week old wyandotte with a crooked beak- I just noticed it a couple of days ago. Today he looks like he's having a little trouble breathing normally- his mouth isn't open but his throat moves a lot with breathing, kinda reminding me of a frog! He's acting fine otherwise though- eating & drinking, running around with the others.... has anybody else had a crooked beak chick/chicken with breathing issues? Or should I start worrying about disease? Thanks!

This is Ink Dot. She was severely a runt but she has mostly caught up size wise. She has always seemed to be happy and healthy and is treated equally among her pen mates. The top beak is curved and to the side and gotten more severe in the past weeks. Will it get worse? Will she eventually have trouble eating? She's 2 1/2 months old.

Back
Top Bottom