Crooked Comb

sawcochran

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2020
Northwest Georgia
Hello! First time raising chickens. I have a 8 week old RIR. Comb looks crooked. Will it grow out straight or should I expect is to lean to the side? My husband is laughing at me for even asking this btw!! Had to catch him taking a dirt bath to get a decent picture.

181A56BD-AFFD-426C-BE02-0D317D56669A.jpeg

RIR roo combs very seldom flop over. That's more of a leghorn look.

Are you worried about this because you plan to show him? In most breeds, for hens, once they start laying, a judge probably won't worry if the comb flops a bit. For roosters, the judging standards are more breed-specific.

BTW, there is a thing some people call, "summer comb." It's like "summer ears" in rabbits. A chicken's comb, like a rabbit's ears, helps the animal regulate its body temperature by radiating heat. Given the same genetics, a bird raised in a very warm area will tend to have a larger comb than a bird raised in a cool area. It's usually not a huge effect. However, if an individual bird has a tendency to have a larger comb and you know this, you can minimize comb size by keeping them cooler while they are growing up.

RIR roo combs very seldom flop over. That's more of a leghorn look.

Are you worried about this because you plan to show him? In most breeds, for hens, once they start laying, a judge probably won't worry if the comb flops a bit. For roosters, the judging standards are more breed-specific.

BTW, there is a thing some people call, "summer comb." It's like "summer ears" in rabbits. A chicken's comb, like a rabbit's ears, helps the animal regulate its body temperature by radiating heat. Given the same genetics, a bird raised in a very warm area will tend to have a larger comb than a bird raised in a cool area. It's usually not a huge effect. However, if an individual bird has a tendency to have a larger comb and you know this, you can minimize comb size by keeping them cooler while they are growing up.

Thanks! Not showing him just curious because all the pictures of RIR seemed to be really straight. He was one of my 6 pullets from the feed store so unexpected.

I never heard about summer comb. Since I am in Georgia and it is already HOT he will likely end up with a rather large comb.

Appreciate in the input!

Back
Top Bottom