Crooked Neck In 2 week Old Polish Hen Chick

Philippa Ann

Hatching
Sep 12, 2022
We have 14 new babies, now 2 weeks old! A variety of breeds, some bantam. Our one Polish hen chick seems to have a neck injury or deformity. I do not believe it is wry neck as they are fed an excellent chick feed and have been supplemented with nutri-drench, but I've never seen this. Does anyone have any insight regarding possibly fixing her neck. She can stretch it to eat and drink. I so desperately don't want to euthanize her, she's such a dear little thing. Please help 🥺

Attachments

• 20220911_173338.jpg
    20220911_173338.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220911_173352.jpg
    20220911_173352.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220911_173441.jpg
    20220911_173441.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220911_173507.jpg
    20220911_173507.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 6
Welcome To BYC
Could be a genetic or development problem, but I would try vitamin therapy to see if it helps.

Go to Walmart, CVS, etc. and pick up a bottle of Vitamin E (400IU) and B-Complex.
Give her one 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily with a little scrambled egg.

Hope she improves.

Welcome To BYC
Could be a genetic or development problem, but I would try vitamin therapy to see if it helps.

Go to Walmart, CVS, etc. and pick up a bottle of Vitamin E (400IU) and B-Complex.
Give her one 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily with a little scrambled egg.

Hope she improves.
Thank you so much for your suggestion, I truly appreciate it. I'll go and grab those things today. I am trying to save her any way I can. I started raising chicks a little over 1.5 years ago but have never seen this.

X2 on treating with vitamin E and B complex, since E or thiamine deficiency possibly from the parent stock, along with injury or genetics can lead to torticoliis (wry or crook neck.) Hopefully, it goes away, but sometimes not. Help to eat and drink if she is not getting enough.

X2 on treating with vitamin E and B complex, since E or thiamine deficiency possibly from the parent stock, along with injury or genetics can lead to torticoliis (wry or crook neck.) Hopefully, it goes away, but sometimes not. Help to eat and drink if she is not getting enough.
I absolutely will get her these things today. Thank you so much for your response and support. Should I be giving her selenium somehow? I had read somewhere that it is important for the absorption of the vitamin E?
I take her out 8-10 times a day to a plate of organic chick starter and fresh water to ensure I see her eat and drink. She does go to the food and water in the brooder pen but not as frequently as the others since she needs to rest frequently because of her deformity. I also give her 1 drop every 12 hours of nutri drench directly into her mouth.

Back
Top Bottom