Crooked Tail

hdreserve

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 29, 2014
My bantam suddenly has it’s tail flipped over to the side today. Otherwise, acts, eats & poops normally. Only thing different is I started treating my whole flick with All in One in their water last night (preventive & to deworm since I recently got peacocks). Any thoughts on what’s going on?

How old?

It looks like Wry Tail which is a genetic defect. There is not a lot that can be done about it, a bird with this condition should not be bred.

I don't think the All In One would have been the cause. Did you confirm that you had Coccidiosis, worms, respiratory illness and/or canker? Just curious.

She’s 4 years old & hasn’t had issues with it before. None have been outright sick, but I haven’t treated for worms in two years & I know I’m being freaky by treating them with the All In One, but don’t want to chance spreading anything to my Peafowl, so everyone’s getting treated

It does look like wry tail, which is almost always genetic. It's very uncommon that it's not genetic, but it can rarely also be caused by an injury or illness like a cyst or tumor. Since this happened suddenly in an older bird, I would examine closely to see if you can identify any of those as a cause.
In most cases it's not painful and doesn't have much effect on the life of the bird, but as said before, that bird should not be bred. If it were caused by a cyst or tumor then it might be painful.
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/What-is-wry-tail-H305.aspx

I would just like to add that wry tail can be a symptom of Marek's Disease as well..... it is just another form of asymmetrical paralysis and I have had a few Marek's birds with it. At her age that is less likely, but just something else to consider. The sudden onset would be consistent with Marek's and many Marek's birds eat and drink and otherwise act normal and healthy, at least in the early stages. Some birds with Marek's paralysis recover from an outbreak as quickly as it came on but they are usually prone to further outbreaks in the future. I'm not saying it is Marek's, but just something else to be aware of.

She’s 4 years old & hasn’t had issues with it before. None have been outright sick, but I haven’t treated for worms in two years & I know I’m being freaky by treating them with the All In One, but don’t want to chance spreading anything to my Peafowl, so everyone’s getting treated
Thank you for providing more information:)

Since she is older and has not had any issues before, I would think about her having an injury.
You may want to examine her to see if there is anything going on there. Look to see if her oil gland is not impacted and she has no lumps or tumors.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom