Crooked toes

dannygirl1

Songster
Jun 4, 2016
West Cork, Ireland
My chicks which are two weeks old are developing crooked toes, they were perfectly straight at hatch. After reading a bit about it , I have narrowed it down to 1. Hereditary, 2. Insufficient space under heat source ( there were 18 under a heat plate meant for 24 ) 3. Lack of riboflavin in the chick feed. I didnt give any supplements in the drinking water only apple cider vinegar, As of yesterday they are getting brewers yeast dissolved in their water, probably too late, but for future reference do other people give supplements in the water ? They were eggs from my own flock ( barnevelder.) currently tracking down people who bought eggs from me to see if they had similar problem. Input appreciated

My chicks which are two weeks old are developing crooked toes, they were perfectly straight at hatch. After reading a bit about it , I have narrowed it down to 1. Hereditary, 2. Insufficient space under heat source ( there were 18 under a heat plate meant for 24 ) 3. Lack of riboflavin in the chick feed. I didnt give any supplements in the drinking water only apple cider vinegar, As of yesterday they are getting brewers yeast dissolved in their water, probably too late, but for future reference do other people give supplements in the water ? They were eggs from my own flock ( Barnevelder.) currently tracking down people who bought eggs from me to see if they had similar problem. Input appreciated
I read number three could cause this. Just the other day in fact. Yes, I put Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench in their water for the 1st 2 weeks to get them off to a strong start. Don't need anything else. http://www.nutridrench.com It has vitamins, minerals, enzymes, molasses, all kinds of good things. Available at Tractor Supply, feed stores and online.
And it doesn't need digesting. Mainlines directly into the bloodstream, measurable in minutes, all natural, with 99% utilization.
For chicks, I give one drop only by mouth. Needy chicks: repeat every 8-10 hours as needed until perky. Combats pasty butt, the runs, jumpstarts the G.I. tract, helps restore the immune system, supplements vitamins and minerals in the diet. The molasses in it encourages growth of healthy bacterial flora in the G.I tract, I have used it for years on my poultry with great success.
For chicks, I put 1/2 teaspoon in a quart waterer for the 1st 2 weeks to get them off to a strong start. No need for other probiotics, apple cider vinegar or electrolytes.
Best

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom