MomsterT

Chirping
Aug 21, 2019
Hello! So we got 2 Ayam Cemani straight run chicks. They are booth doing fine, but one of the little fellas has a crooked toe on each foot. He/she (not sure yet) is approx 3weeks old. We tried splinting with toothpicks and bandage with cardboard boot but it wiggled out of it on the firs night. Any recommendations on how to fix? Or should we just let it be? Just want to give out little chick the best life possible.

And if you have any name suggestions, throw them on in! I said Capt Hook, but my husband wasn’t on board lol.

Hello! So we got 2 Ayam Cemani straight run chicks. They are booth doing fine, but one of the little fellas has a crooked toe on each foot. He/she (not sure yet) is approx 3weeks old. We tried splinting with toothpicks and bandage with cardboard boot but it wiggled out of it on the firs night. Any recommendations on how to fix? Or should we just let it be? Just want to give out little chick the best life possible.

And if you have any name suggestions, throw them on in! I said Capt Hook, but my husband wasn’t on board lol.
Welcome To BYC!

Photos would be helpful.

Without seeing the toes it's hard to know, but from your description, if there's 1 crooked toe on each foot, then usually that can't be straightened. Sometimes all the toes are crooked and cause difficulty walking, one on each foot is not too bad, so if he can move around o.k. I would be inclined to leave it be. Crooked toes are caused by genetics/heredity, incorrect incubation, brooder flooring being too cold and by being raised on wire floors. Birds with crooked toes should not be used for breeding since there is the genetic/hereditary factor.

You can give your chicks some poultry vitamins containing B2(Riboflavin) for few days to help give them a boost.

Now, if your chick has curled toes - that's another matter and needs to be addressed.

It's a typical riboflavin deficiency but u can boost all vitamins and apply some Bandage over the toes as in the straight direction
@casportpony did this method on her chicks she might will send u pic to know
Not to worry this is treatable :)

3x Riboflavin deficiency ... You can use Vet Wrap or the adhesive part of a band aid to make a sandal ...
DSC03612.JPG

Back
Top Bottom