1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crooked toes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by harris farm, Oct 7, 2010.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have a 2 week old chick with the big toe on both feet that turn 90 degrees inward. What causes this and will it grow up and live well?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Probably a genetic deformity.

I had a chick with twisted toes on one foot...Twistedtoes lived out a full and unimpeded life,

Sandie

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    My (ex) Rooster had bent toes. It's genetic, and if it doesn't appear to bother them it's no big deal.

If you plan to breed, I'd avoid using bent-toed chickens for it, though. No sense perpetuating it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  4. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

A few of mine have had them too. Barely notice at all really, even though one had toes so twisted her claws didn't point down. She still foraged and scratched with the rest of them.

5. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    YOU should tape the toe staight with a pipe cleaner and some tape..you can check feathersite. it will show you how to do it. I would keep it on for about a week then check it to see if its better other wise try again for another week..
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO POST MY OWN QUESTIONS I CAN"T SEEM TO DO IT
    .thanks fratmor

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Fratmor....choose which category you feel is the most appropriate from the 'Message Board'....e.g 'Raising Baby Chicks'.
    Look in the top right hand corner where you will find 'Post New Topic'.... click on this.....then you are off!

Good Luck,

Sandie

7. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    My Delaware had crooked toes when she was a chick, but the older she got the more they straightened out. They are still bent a bit but not as bad as when she was a chick.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by