Crop full of air

Mar 22, 2018
One o fmy birds appears to have a a distended crop I thought it was food but it appears to be air. I spoke with soemone else who agreed with me that there was just a bunch of air in it. She told me she had only seen this in commercial flocks. What she could not answer for me was what the cause of it was or if I could just decompress crop with a needle. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? She is quite skinny for her breed and I want to get her fixed up and feeling better.

Do you have any photos?
How old is she?
What breed?
Does she lay eggs?
Any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?
When did you check the crop - after she was eating/drinking or first thing this morning?
Is the chicken acting sick at all at this time?

You mention your friend said they saw this in commercial flocks (broilers?)- and want to know about decompressing with a needle - was it a crop issue or an air sac problem?

If the crop has air - is she able to poop? I would not try to decompress the crop with a needle at this time. I would try to figure out what else is going on - crop issues can be a symptom of an underlying condition.

If you feel the crop or knead it, will any air come up - careful not to aspirate any fluids that are in there.

9E770BCB-D983-486A-91C3-A2CFFDABF272.jpeg
Ok guys the day after my chickens got inspected she died suddenly. It was air and she had this problem for over a year. She was pooping normally I don’t think she was paying much. I will say she was a bit deconditioned and I could feel her breastplate easily. I found her too late so I was not able to do a necropsy on her. I am adding a few pictures of her from a few days before she died. I think the stress of the oral swabbing and obtaining a blood sample may have been too much for her.

Attachments

• EBA2AEF3-26FA-4DB7-B33D-68C5ED5DFFE4.jpeg
    EBA2AEF3-26FA-4DB7-B33D-68C5ED5DFFE4.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1287B483-9E35-49B4-9C9E-34EEA9977740.jpeg
    1287B483-9E35-49B4-9C9E-34EEA9977740.jpeg
    860.6 KB · Views: 4
View attachment 1788556 Ok guys the day after my chickens got inspected she died suddenly. It was air and she had this problem for over a year. She was pooping normally I don’t think she was paying much. I will say she was a bit deconditioned and I could feel her breastplate easily. I found her too late so I was not able to do a necropsy on her. I am adding a few pictures of her from a few days before she died. I think the stress of the oral swabbing and obtaining a blood sample may have been too much for her.
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

It looks like she had a pendulous crop. Interesting that is was air filled though.
If you don't mind, did the vet take swabs and blood samples? Any results from those?
https://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/pendulous-crop/

It was just an APIP inspection. No vet, I was anticipating taking her in in about a week as the vet is about 100 miles from where I live and she didnt seem bothered by it. Looks liek it got her in the end. tests were negative. Influenza and another one I can't remmebr.

It was just an APIP inspection. No vet, I was anticipating taking her in in about a week as the vet is about 100 miles from where I live and she didnt seem bothered by it. Looks liek it got her in the end. tests were negative. Influenza and another one I can't remmebr.
You could send her to a local lab for a necropsy.

Wow. That was a huge crop. Poor girl. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom