Crop is really full on one side, what can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beergnome, May 23, 2010.

1. beergnome

beergnome Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Hi,

One of my 2-month old pullets has one side of her crop really full. It doesn't feel hard underneath, but she is definitely lop-sided. I have been letting them out for a few hours nearly every day. And I was giving them grit, though it was pigeon grit, I've found out, so I switched them to crushed granite.

Is she in trouble? What can I do?

Thanks!

Jeff

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    There's only one "side" to a crop, so I wouldn't worry.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    She's fine, just really full. If the crop (found on the right side of the chest) doesn't go down overnight then you have a problem, but your girl probably just found some really good treats and stuffed herself.

4. beergnome

beergnome Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Oh, it just looked really funny. I thought the crop was centered on their breast. They were out running around and I discovered a bunch of black soldier fly grubs and so they had some of those. I can squish the crop around. That's where the grit ends up? Or the gizzard? Birds sure are weird.

THanks for all the prompt info. I was reading old posts but people respond so quickly here. You guys rule.

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Grit works in the gizzard. Here's a good link to a govt. page showing the digestive tract of the chicken and explains how this all works.
    http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/27_2705.htm
    Specifically on your question, the crop serves as a holding tank for the food. There's some enzyme action there, but most digestion occurs in the gizzard and thereafter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by