Crop issue

Simpx4

In the Brooder
May 28, 2020
Maine
I did a lot of thread searching before this post and couldn’t quite find the answer that I’m looking for.
I have a one year old Dominique that I noticed a few weeks ago started getting a saggy crop. I’d catch her and feel it. It’s squishy like a water balloon, but has stayed the same size. She has been eating, drinking, laying and acting 100% normal. Today I noticed her crop was bit larger so I caught her and attempted a massage to empty it.
She expelled SO much thick vomit. Had some straw in it and It did not smell at all, looked mostly like pellet mash. I actually almost lost her because she couldn’t breath due to the amount and thickness. Once I got her breathing again I brought her inside to calm down. She drank some water. About 15 minutes later she’s totally back to normal and wants nothing to do with inside and wants out with the rest of her flock.
If she’s acting completely normal do I need to address it again? I hate that I almost killed her if it wasn’t bothering her.

You had a close call. Other people have caused their chicken instant death from choking by massaging or attempting to empty the crop in other ways that cause vomiting.

Your hen may have a pendulous crop condition, a chronic sagging of the crop which won't allow the crop to empty overnight. Eventually, yeast will colonize the stagnant crop. It may not smell at first, but if the crop appears to be getting larger, it would be logical to assume yeast has already begun.

There are different crop disorders and they are treated differently. If this were my hen, I would make a crop bra for her or buy one, and install it on her, if even just at night. At the same time, I would commence with treatment for yeast to get ahead of it. Left untreated, yeast can spread throughout the entire digestive system, making it much more difficult to treat.

Here's my short article on crop disorders to help guide you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You had a close call. Other people have caused their chicken instant death from choking by massaging or attempting to empty the crop in other ways that cause vomiting.

Your hen may have a pendulous crop condition, a chronic sagging of the crop which won't allow the crop to empty overnight. Eventually, yeast will colonize the stagnant crop. It may not smell at first, but if the crop appears to be getting larger, it would be logical to assume yeast has already begun.

There are different crop disorders and they are treated differently. If this were my hen, I would make a crop bra for her or buy one, and install it on her, if even just at night. At the same time, I would commence with treatment for yeast to get ahead of it. Left untreated, yeast can spread throughout the entire digestive system, making it much more difficult to treat.

Here's my short article on crop disorders to help guide you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you!!! I have seen the bras! And it’s definitely what her crop looks like, a low swinging boob!!!!

Back
Top Bottom