Crop issues in pullet

littlebanty

Songster
12 Years
Oct 31, 2007
West Melbourne, Florida
I have a swedish flower hen pullet that has had a full crop. I noticed it yesterday. Checked to see if she emptied it today and she didnt. She wont walk, eat or drink. I can get her to drink if I take her to the water. She tries to wiggle her crop to empty it herself with no luck. I tried to vomit her and had absolutely no luck. I had her drink some water and she did. Massaged her crop and nothing. It feels like a squishy water balloon. Im wondering if its canker. I opened her beak and took a whiff but I didnt smell anything. Im confused. What should I do to figure out whats going on with her?

This could be sour crop. After a lot of internet research, this is what I did. I moved the sick hen to the bathtub so she would be close. I gave her garlic water by syringe (garlic treats fungus, and sour crop is associated with fungal infection.) Her water bowl was also garlic water. I also gave her yogurt and olive oil by syringe. (Sounds like I was preparing her for the oven!) The yogurt is a probiotic which helps give beneficial bacteria an edge. The olive oil lubricates the digestive tract to help dislodge any objects that may have been stuck. I massaged her crop gently several times per day. After two full days of this regimen, she exploded in black poop and a plum pit was expelled. She made a full recovery. My birds are no longer fed plums, by the way.

Thanks for the info. Im not even sure what she ate. She is on crumbles and at the moment I have her and the others caged as I dont have an extra coop and run. So she couldnt have eaten grass or anything else. I will bring her in tomorrow and keep her close and try to get that dislodged. I will update.

Thanks for the info. Im not even sure what she ate. She is on crumbles and at the moment I have her and the others caged as I dont have an extra coop and run. So she couldnt have eaten grass or anything else. I will bring her in tomorrow and keep her close and try to get that dislodged. I will update.

Sounds like she has a impacted crop,does she have access to grit? Here is a link on crop issues:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

No grit. I did get her to drink quite a bit and I massaged her crop. She pooped a very bright green poop. And I did get her to vomit. Her crop is empty now. Should I give her some sort of something to treat the sour crop fungus? This is my first ever issue with crops.

No grit. I did get her to drink quite a bit and I massaged her crop. She pooped a very bright green poop. And I did get her to vomit. Her crop is empty now. Should I give her some sort of something to treat the sour crop fungus? This is my first ever issue with crops.

Make sure she has grit,this is how chickens digest food. Give her food in morning,make sure she eats/drinks,green poop indicates she is not eating,starvation/dehydration will result if she does not eat/drink.

Back
Top Bottom